• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NClark6681

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
As per request of my elderly father and approval of my brother with Down's Syndrome, I started working with attorney in July. She has charged me 5000.00 with no results to date. When we went to court, the officer was shocked as my attorney had not done a background check on me. At this point I can not afford her services. She charges me if I ask for a status. So I have heard nothing for a month. Can I represent myself for the next court appearance?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
As per request of my elderly father and approval of my brother with Down's Syndrome, I started working with attorney in July. She has charged me 5000.00 with no results to date. When we went to court, the officer was shocked as my attorney had not done a background check on me. At this point I can not afford her services. She charges me if I ask for a status. So I have heard nothing for a month. Can I represent myself for the next court appearance?

Please explain what it is you're wanting to accomplish.

Is there something in your background that would prevent you from obtaining guardianship of...I'm assuming your brother?

More details are needed.

NClark6681

I am trying to transfer a guardian of the person for my brother with Down's syndrome from my father (who is elderly) to me. My father requested this as he feels he is not able to handle the responsibility and my brother is fine with this. We are a supportive family, no strife. I can not afford this attorney as she has charged me over $5000.00 and we still have not accomplished the transfer. The GAL was appointed by the court months ago and she gave her approval for the transfer a month ago but no action from my attorney. No follow up court appt has been requested. I would like to know if I can reasonably set up the court hearing and handle this myself without an attorney.

mistoffolees

I am trying to transfer a guardian of the person for my brother with Down's syndrome from my father (who is elderly) to me. My father requested this as he feels he is not able to handle the responsibility and my brother is fine with this. We are a supportive family, no strife. I can not afford this attorney as she has charged me over $5000.00 and we still have not accomplished the transfer. The GAL was appointed by the court months ago and she gave her approval for the transfer a month ago but no action from my attorney. No follow up court appt has been requested. I would like to know if I can reasonably set up the court hearing and handle this myself without an attorney.
Yes---if you take the time to learn the process. It's like learning to fix a car or do brain surgery. There are procedures and rules that must be followed and the more you educate yourself, the better you'll be able to handle it.

For starters, google 'self help guardianship north carolina' or something similar. Call your court clerk to see if there's a self-help center. Or simply ask your attorney why there has been no followup.

NClark6681

Thank you, that is very helpful. I had been googling guardianship but adding the "self help" made all the difference. I hesitate to ask the attorney for a status as she charges me $150.00 for a status check. I am hoping to get enough information and education to be able to advise her services are no longer needed. Thank you so much for getting me started.

mistoffolees

Thank you, that is very helpful. I had been googling guardianship but adding the "self help" made all the difference. I hesitate to ask the attorney for a status as she charges me $150.00 for a status check. I am hoping to get enough information and education to be able to advise her services are no longer needed. Thank you so much for getting me started.
I would think long and hard about that. A simple guardianship transfer when all the parties are in agreement shouldn't be that complicated or expensive.

OTOH, if all the parties are NOT in agreement, it will get very complicated very soon - and will likely be beyond your abilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">