• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment and blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gina_bnz

i live in Pennsylvania, and, on behalf of a very close friend of mine, i need some advice please.

Six years ago, my friend started chatting with a guy... we live in Pa, he lived in either Oregon or Washington state. They hit it off and for the very first time in her life, she took the plunge and had a cyber-affair. (Her personal relationship is really noone's business, including mine... but her and her husband were having some problems).

Anyway....

Because her friend was having personal problems of his own and desperately needed to... i dunno, get away?.... she invited him to Pa. And.... he accepted.

So.... fast forward a couple years..... they had their fling, but in the end, things didnt work out. And all in all she is in love with her husband.
So they split, her and this other guy.

A few more non-descript things happened.. details that i think are not worth mentioning at this time.

And now, today, my best friend informed me that this guy is blackmailing her. Exactly for what, she is unsure of. But he has threatened her and her family. i told her right off to get a restraining order and get him the heck out of her life!

Her husband knows everything thats gone on in the past.. she confessed everything to him. She has yet to talk to him of this latest development.. shes going to do that tonight.....

i need to know though, how does one go about getting a restraining order? Who should she see? What are her options?
This guy is nuts. We've both realized over the years that hes not all there. He says he just wants her back in his life, that hes lonely and wants to be friends. But shes honestly afraid of him. She wants him gone. Period.

The main issue with her is that she doesnt want her son to find out about any of this. He is 21 years old and finishing off his last year at college. She is absolutely determined that he not know any of whats going on or has gone on in the past. She will protect him at all costs.

Please, someone, can you give me some advice?
How does a restraining order work? How does she go about getting one?

i've sent her the url to this forum, but whether she'll actually come here i dont know. Shes extremely upset and doesnt know what to do. She desperately wants to talk to her husband.. and she will... but in the meantime, what can i tell her?? She needs help, she needs to protect her son from this, and i need to know what to tell her.

P.S. For the life of me, i couldnt figure out which forum to post this in, so i started here. Please move to the appropriate forum, and if possible, please, let me know where it was moved to? Thanks so much!

gina_bnz

i'd also like to mention that this guy worked for Earthlink in the past year. my friend's isp is Earthlink (Mindspring), and he claims he has her passwords, past emails, etc.... he claims he has 'proof' that he and her have had a relationship and that he wants everyone to know about it.

Isnt that a Federal offense? obtaining information and passwords like that?

Does anyone have any advice please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">