• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassing ex husband in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jb1kenobe

Need to find out what my legal options are regarding an ex-husband. Divorced in 1996, joint custody with me having residual custody. He is supposed to be paying child support 1st and 15th of each month (which he does not) and nor has he been compliant with most of the other terms established in our divorce. He has a criminal record. I just found out that he has been convicted (11/17/01) of theft by taking with 7 years probation, has to submit to random drug tests (he has a history of substance/alcohol abuse) and domestic and verbal abuse with me and his children. I have recently become involved with someone who is temporaily domiciled here and we have been barraged with phone calls (usually 7 a day) on the pretext of him checking on the children. He bombards them with questions and tells them to lock themselves in their rooms. He has made accusations to both me and this other person and even gone as far as contacting DFACS (Dept of Family and Children Services), contacts me at work and he has been told (by me) to stop. I have told him the children will contact him once a day for 15 minutes in an effort to stop the calls, to no avail. I have asked that for the benefit of the children, he stop grilling them. What can be done to stop the harrassment caused by the phone calls and the continuous accusations which are having a negative impact on the children as well.

D

dorenephilpot

First, you have a contempt action against him for nonpayment of support. You have to petition the court for a contempt hearing and ask that he be ordered to pay your attorney fees.

Second, you have a harassment problem. You need to get a restraining order against him.

In the meantime, tell him he is allowed to contact the children once per day by phone for 15 minutes. If he calls additional times, hang up on him.

You might also have him e-mail his contacts to you, rather than use the phone.

Third, under the circumstances, I would ask for a modification of visitation and ask that he be supervised, that you drop off the children at this neutral location and that he arrive a half hour later so that the two of you don't have to see each other.

There are a variety of things that can be done to deal with this problem. These are some suggestions.

Bottom line, though: You need to get him into court and let the court restore order to this maddening situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">