• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has my ex commited bigamy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BertoTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

If i was in a relationship with a woman and lived together for seven years and had a child together. She left me and the child and married someone else 6 months later. Is she in a bigamous marrige? We lived together but never filed for common law or had joint tax returns. We lived as a married couple but always called eachother boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance. We lived as a family for more than 6 years.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Texas

If i wasin a relationship with a woman and lived together for seven years and had a child together. She left me and the child and married someone else 6 months later. Is she in a bigamous marrige? We lived together but never filed for common law or had joint tax returns. We lived as a married couple but always called eachother boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance. We lived as a family for more than 6 years.
No.
http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/informal-common-law-marriage-1

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Texas

If i wasin a relationship with a woman and lived together for seven years and had a child together. She left me and the child and married someone else 6 months later. Is she in a bigamous marrige? We lived together but never filed for common law or had joint tax returns. We lived as a married couple but always called eachother boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance. We lived as a family for more than 6 years.
You do not meet the requirements for a "common law" marriage. So obviously, she's not guilty of bigamy.

Why is this your business, by the way?

BertoTX

You do not meet the requirements for a "common law" marriage. So obviously, she's not guilty of bigamy.

Why is this your business, by the way?
Going thru custody battle for our son. She left me and our children one together, one that i have custody of from a previous marrige.

Silverplum

Going thru custody battle for our son. She left me and our children one together, one that i have custody of from a previous marrige.
Yes, we know: that's in your first thread, and this is one of the many reasons we don't like multiple threads. Please keep future questions in your first thread.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Dad, if your custody "battle" is about finding enough mud to sling at your ex, you don't have a " custody battle"; you have a "self-serving agenda". Please don't do this. It makes you look bad, and it makes it look like the welfare of your child is actually an afterthought.

That's not true, right? Right. :)

LdiJ

You really need to stop saying "our children". You and she have ONE child. Your daughter is completely irrelevant in this scenario as she has no biological or legal relationship to your ex.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oy. You didn't want to marry her before, but now you want to claim you were married. SMH. There is only one "our" child. The boy. Your daughter is yours solely. She is irrelevant to this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">