• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yvonnej801

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Utah

I was wondering if my domestic partner could put my daughter under his insurance plan even though he is not the biological father and her biological father does not want to sign his rights away. He is no longer paying child support. This is really important to me because she will no longer have insurance after 12/31/2008 and he said he didn't want her in his plan does he have a right to do this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Utah

I was wondering if my domestic partner could put my daughter under his insurance plan even though he is not the biological father and her biological father does not want to sign his rights away. He is no longer paying child support. This is really important to me because she will no longer have insurance after 12/31/2008 and he said he didn't want her in his plan does he have a right to do this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Who is the he? The biological father can be forced to put her on insurance. Get a court order. Is the child support COURT ORDERED? File a motion to show cause as to why he shouldn't be found in contempt if it is court ordered and he is not paying.

As for the domestic partner he cannot be forced to put the child on his insurance. Will his company even allow him to add a child for whom he has no legal obligation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not he can do this will depend ENTIRELY on whether your daughter is considered an eligible dependent under the terms of the policy.

LdiJ

Whether or not he can do this will depend ENTIRELY on whether your daughter is considered an eligible dependent under the terms of the policy.
This is absolutely correct. More and more employer policies are becoming "flexible" in terms of who or who not can be added under "domestic partner" situations, but it does vary dramatically from employer to employer, and insurance company to insurance company.

I would also check into private policies for the children. Sometimes its actually less expensive to insure children through private policies than to add them to employer policies, particularly if there isn't already a family plan in place for the employee.

Also, most states offer some sort of sliding scale insurance for children (not medcaid, just state sponsored and/or subsidized) that more than just very low income people can qualify for. Check into that as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">