• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health money paid to x

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reynoldsil1

What is the name of your state (Illinois)? I could not afford a lawyer and the ones I spoke to just told me to go in and tell my side of the story and take what they give you. So I did just that. During the hearing my x stated the fact I did not have health insurance on our daughter and that’s why she put her on hers. And not she is trying to make me pay for all her out of pocket expenses. During the hearing I stated I was a retired service member and had health insurance on my daughter from birth. However: because the x put our daughter on hers, me Tricare insurance became secondary. Plus I did not receive any kind of EOB or notification of any bill. The court sided on her side and now I need to pay her over 7000. During the past 12 years I let my x take my daughter off her taxes every other year till 2005, then her lawyer ask if she could take her off every year to cover the cost of health care. I agreed! However, during the hearing I forgot about this part and did not bring this up. I did however, email my x’s lawyer and brought this up to him and I have not heard anything from him at this time. Do I have a case for an appeal to get this overturned?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (Illinois)? I could not afford a lawyer and the ones I spoke to just told me to go in and tell my side of the story and take what they give you. So I did just that. During the hearing my x stated the fact I did not have health insurance on our daughter and that’s why she put her on hers. And not she is trying to make me pay for all her out of pocket expenses. During the hearing I stated I was a retired service member and had health insurance on my daughter from birth. However: because the x put our daughter on hers, me Tricare insurance became secondary. Plus I did not receive any kind of EOB or notification of any bill. The court sided on her side and now I need to pay her over 7000. During the past 12 years I let my x take my daughter off her taxes every other year till 2005, then her lawyer ask if she could take her off every year to cover the cost of health care. I agreed! However, during the hearing I forgot about this part and did not bring this up. I did however, email my x’s lawyer and brought this up to him and I have not heard anything from him at this time. Do I have a case for an appeal to get this overturned?
Probably not, but get a consult with a local attorney just to make sure.

Unfortunately, this type of thing can happen when you go into court pro-se against an attorney. from now on, when going to court, if ex has an attorney you will NEED to have one also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">