• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

neller00

In the state of Ohio, is it possible for me to move out of the house legally (emancipation)? My parents have told me that I can leave and to go ahead. If I do leave can they try to go back on their verbal agreement?
I am 17 yrs. old and have graduated from high school in May 2000. Currently, I am attending college full-time and I work part-time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

neller00 said:
In the state of Ohio, is it possible for me to move out of the house legally (emancipation)? My parents have told me that I can leave and to go ahead. If I do leave can they try to go back on their verbal agreement?
I am 17 yrs. old and have graduated from high school in May 2000. Currently, I am attending college full-time and I work part-time.
My response:

It's nice to read that you're going to college, that you work hard, and are interested in "spreading your wings."

First, until a court renders an order of emancipation, you won't be emancipated until it automatically occurs on your 18th birthday.

Second, many young adults, throughout the Nation, each year, "go away" to colleges across this Country. They're all not 18 years old; but, for all intents and purposes, they're really on their own. Of course, Mom and Dad keep in touch, and may send them some cash. But, when they go to sleep at night in their dorm room, or wherever, it's not at "home" and it's up to them to guide their own days and destiny.

I imagine that only time will tell, and with how you conduct your life until you're 18, will determine whether Mom and Dad pull on that leash to bring you back home. If you show them that you can do well on your own, I would rather doubt they will want you to come back to live with them. However, visits and Saturday night dinners are mandatory.

Two other thoughts come to mind:

1. They will undoubtedly come to realize that they are gaining something from your leaving . . . a little extra room in the house, and a little more privacy (there's a lot to be said for walking around the house dressed or undressed as they please - - in other words, they'll have more freedom too !)

2. They reared you (and apparently very well) to be able to be self-sufficient. They knew, and now know, that one of the purposes of rearing you through your youth was that one day you would be leaving. I am absolutely sure that they want you to give this old World a try. They just wanted to make sure you had the "tools" to deal with it.

So, in summary, conduct yourself properly, and as they would have imagined and hoped, and you'll make your parents proud. Don't get crazy out there, and don't give them a reason to yank on your leash.

We wish you well. The World out here is a great place.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">