• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moshell.girl

OHIO- I lived with my mother the first 6 months of this year, actually over that. but no i am getting married and dont know what to do because if i get married, she cant claim me anymore and neither can my husband-to-be

Proserpina

OHIO- I lived with my mother the first 6 months of this year, actually over that. but no i am getting married and dont know what to do because if i get married, she cant claim me anymore and neither can my husband-to-be
Claim you for what?

How old are you?

CourtClerk

Are you talking about taxes? What is stopping you from being a big girl and claiming YOURSELF? And if you are talking about taxes, what stops you from filing a joint tax return? And why is this something you're thinking about now as opposed to BEFORE you said yes to the proposal?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why can't you and your hubby file jointly? You will get married before the end of the year and you don't have to be married more than six months of the year to qualify.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And why is it so important that someone be able to "claim" you at all? What tragedy do you think will occur if you don't get used as a tax deduction for someone?

LdiJ

I am a tax professional. If you marry on or before 12/31 you may file a joint return with your husband...which in essence gives your husband a better tax result than someone "claiming" you.

If you marry, your mother may not claim you as a dependent unless you and your husband combined have income below the requirement to file, and the joint return would be filed only to claim a refund of withholding.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am a tax professional. If you marry on or before 12/31 you may file a joint return with your husband...which in essence gives your husband a better tax result than someone "claiming" you.

If you marry your mother may not claim you as a dependent unless you and your husband combined have income below the requirement to file, and the joint return would be filed only to claim a refund of withholding.
Sorry but I just had to laugh at the bolded. If she marries her mother, she has more issues than what we could possibly help her with.

I understand what you are saying and agree -- not wrong -- just funny phrasing.

Isis1

Sorry but I just had to laugh at the bolded. If she marries her mother, she has more issues than what we could possibly help her with.

i had to read it twice. i'm going to go make some coffee now. :p

LdiJ

Yeah...I needed a comma in there. I will fix it.

futuredust

This thread, well, the missing coma, made me laugh.

I was reading statutes and this made me read twice "Preserving record, case assigned to ass"..

Too funny this morning, I need sleep.

Proserpina

This thread, well, the missing coma, made me laugh.

I was reading statutes and this made me read twice "Preserving record, case assigned to ass"..

Too funny this morning, I need sleep.
I think you probably might need sleep, yeah.

If only to keep an eye on those missing comas ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">