• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! - Can I legally move out yet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gilraen

What is the name of your state? Texas.

I want to move in with a friend of mine and her parents while I attend school in Tennessee. I would be employed and paying $250 a month as rent, to cover food and various school expenses. I lived in TN for 5 years before being forced to move to Texas with my parents this past August. Unfortunately, they won't let me go back under any circumstances, unless I drop out of high school (something I don't want to do just to return to TN, but I may just have to).

Right now I'm 15, but by the time I'd be moving (end of May) I'll be 16 -- can I move out and enroll in high school in TN without my parents' consent?

If not, it'd be great if someone could point me in the direction of some instructions on how to become emancipated from one's parents.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your parents won't allow you to move, you can't move. Even if you drop out of school, your parents do not have to allow you to move.

Texas doesn't technically emancipate minors. It's called "removal of disability of minority", however you must already be living apart from your parents, have been financially self-supporting for a significant period of time (this doesn't include paying $250/month to a friend's parents for a place to stay) and have a good reason to not have a parent be legally responsible for you anymore. In your situation, it's not likely to happen.

Wolflmg

Probably won't happen. But here's a little advice, just make the best of it. In life there's always going to be things your going to have to do, that you may not like. But that's life. We all had to do we things we didn't like, so your not alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">