• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with getting my vehicle back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acn124

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My boyfriend and I decided that we needed to purchase an SUV. I took out a personal loan from the bank and purchased an older used SUV. I have the bill of sale and the receipt of the withdrawl from my bank. I make the payments on the personal loan every single month. We put the title of the vehicle in my boyfriends name. 8 months later he has decided to move out and take the truck with him. The title is free and clear in his name, however like I had mentioned, I have the bill of sale from the man I purchased it from and the personal loan payments come directly out of my personal bank account every month. He has had no job since I purchased the vehicle so he had no means of paying for it. I never thought that after several years of being together he would do this. Do I have any means to get my truck back??

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My boyfriend and I decided that we needed to purchase an SUV. I took out a personal loan from the bank and purchased an older used SUV. I have the bill of sale and the receipt of the withdrawl from my bank. I make the payments on the personal loan every single month. We put the title of the vehicle in my boyfriends name. 8 months later he has decided to move out and take the truck with him. The title is free and clear in his name, however like I had mentioned, I have the bill of sale from the man I purchased it from and the personal loan payments come directly out of my personal bank account every month. He has had no job since I purchased the vehicle so he had no means of paying for it. I never thought that after several years of being together he would do this. Do I have any means to get my truck back??
It's not your truck, it's his truck. :cool:

sandyclaus

Nope.

Putting the vehicle title solely in your boyfriend's name was where you made your mistake. As long as this was supposed to be an "OUR" truck thing, your name should have accompanied his on the title (as in HIS name AND YOUR name).

As it stands, all the financial obligation for the personal loan you took to pay for the truck belongs to YOU, and ownership belongs to HIM. Unless you had a specific agreement for him to pay (and it sounds like there wasn't), then he is under no obligation to even pay for the truck you bought him.

Looks like you'll have to continue paying for this expensive gift you bought for your boyfriend, and now have nothing to show for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">