• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, I want my stuff back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trish1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have moved out of my boyfriends house, he owns it, I was just living there, now he will not let me back in to finish retreiving my belongings. How do I go about it? What does the law state are my rights, is this considered theft?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have moved out of my boyfriends house, he owns it, I was just living there, now he will not let me back in to finish retreiving my belongings. How do I go about it? What does the law state are my rights, is this considered theft?
File a small claims case...

FarmerJ

Trish try sending him a demand letter stating you want to claim /pick up your personal property in the next 7 days , in it state how you can be contacted and send it via certified mail. IF he ignores it then go to the clerk of the court and file small claims court case against him for the value of the property he has refused to allow you to remove. BTW this would show a court that you have formally requested to get your property back. if he wont sign for his mail and it comes back to you , do not open it , leave the letter intact so you can offer it to the court as your proof of attempting to contact him.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Trish yes what FC wrote about in many places is possible BUT if your in a larger city the local police might not easily have time to do that, If your in a smaller town maybe they more easily could do that. BUT Then again if your refused access even in the company of a officer the officer cannot force compliance, and your back to treating the whole problem as a civil matter wich in the end so your still best off sending demand letter via certified mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">