• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Iam a 16 year old mother and Iam having a problem with where I live....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wanesty

I have a serious problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

HISTORY OF THE SITUATION:
When I was 15 years old I got pregnant. The father of the baby lived in Indiana and I live in Ohio. After we found out that I was pregnant he moved in with me my mother and my step dad. When I was about 6 months pregnant we moved into our own place. In May 2001 my daughter was born.
In July his former employer from Indiana called and offered him a better job for 3 dollars more an hour so we moved here to Indiana.

MY PROBLEM:
:mad:
About a month ago I called the high school and asked them what I had to do to get enrolled into school. I knew my mother would have to enroll me b/c she is my legal guardian. So the principal told me that she could enroll me but I would have to pay tuition. That made me pretty mad but I agreed since I knew I had to go to school. Well I had to write a letter to the superintendent first and he would have to accept it before I would be allowed to enroll. Well after the school board voted on it they turned my request down b/c of my "legal and guardianship satus"
Well lets just say for the last month I have been trying everything to be able to go to school. They told me that if I had a letter from a lawyer stating that Iam in the process of being emancipated that my mother could enroll me into school until I was emancipated. I tried to be emancipated, but that didn't work either b/c the lawyer I spoke with told me that I would have to be emancipated in the state that my parents were divorced, which is Kentucky. So my mother spoke with the judge in Kentucky who told me I COULD NOT be emancipated there b/c I do not live there. Then my mother contacted a judge in the county she lives in and they told her that they don't even emancipate minors at all in Ohio. Then when I spoke with my mother today they told me that they were even acting kinda weird that I wasn't living at home.

WHAT I NEED:
I want to know what I can do.
I want to know if anybody knows the laws about these sorts of things in Ohio. (I guess Ohio laws matter most b/c that is where my guardian lives.)

I really want to live with the father of my baby but I really need to go to school. If they won't let me go to school in Indiana I guess I might have to go back to school in Ohio.

I NEED HELP AS SOON AS TOMORROW B/C I HAVE TO MAKE UP MY MIND BEFORE TONIGHT OR TOMORROW B/C IF IAM GOING TO GO BACK TO OHIO AND GO TO SCHOOL I HAVE TO ATTEND ORIENTATION THE 23RD.

PLEASE HELP ME.............

S

Smithy

Why don't you get your GED? From what I understand, there is a short preparatory course and then a test. This may cost money, but perhaps it would be worth it to not have to move back or pay tuition for high school.

W

Wanesty

GED

Thanks for your reply.

#1 I couldnt' even pay tuition if I wanted to. They won't let me
#2 I really don't want my GED b/c I know that I could do better than that.
#3 My mother said that I HAVE to go to school.

I JUST WISH SOMEONE COULD HELP ME OUT. I WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL. I HAVE A 4.0 GPA AND DON'T WANT TO MESS THAT UP. TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL HERE IN INDIANA. I DON'T WANT TO MISS MUCH MORE SCHOOL.

LegalBeagle

Re: GED

Wanesty said:
I HAVE A 4.0 GPA AND DON'T WANT TO MESS THAT UP.
You should have thought about that before deciding to have sex at age 15 without birth control. Not smart for someone with a 4.0 GPA.

Anyway.. there is an Indiana Attorney on the Education Board that will probably be able to help you.

G

Grandma B

My suggestion would be that you return to Ohio and start your classes. You can continue to work on the problem, but don't start by falling behind at school.

If and when you are able to work something out in Indiana, you can simply transfer. You're going to need that education.

W

Wanesty

Re: Re: GED

LegalBeagle said:

You should have thought about that before deciding to have sex at age 15 without birth control. Not smart for someone with a 4.0 GPA.

:mad:
REPLY:
You know what Iam having a major problem with a lot of things and I don't need people judging me. At least Iam trying to go back to school. At least I had a 4.0 in the first place. Most teen mothers just drop out of school and don't care about their grades. True I may have not made the right decisions in having sex at 15 but that is what I choose to do. Iam after all dealing with my own problem and trying to make it beter. I take good care of my daughter and I plan to continue doing this as well as going to school.
I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF ANYONE ELSE THAT RESPONDES TO THIS ONLY GIVE ME ADVICE AND NOT JUDGE MY ACTIONS. IAM ASKING FOR HELP NOT GRIEF FOR WHAT I HAVE CHOOSE TO DO.

FOR THE RECORD: I DID USE BIRTH CONTROL......IT JUST DIDN'T WORK.

THANK YOU ANYWAY FOR INFORMATION THAT WAS NOT SO HELPFUL AND HELPFUL IN IT'S OWN WAY. IT LET ME KNOW THAT NO MATTER WHERE I GO PEOPLE ARE CLOSED MINDED TO TEEN PARENTS.

S

Smithy

Obviously if you can start your own family and move to another state, your mom can't really tell you what to do anymore. (i.e. "You HAVE to go to school.") I know that where I live, the alternative high school (where the 'bad' kids go) has classes in the day and night for pregnant teens or kids with kids. Have you looked into that? And, yes, maybe you could've done 'better' than a GED, but sometimes the circumstances you create dictate otherwise.

C

cindyn71

A GED can and will be recognized as a legal high school diploma. You may have to attend a Junior college before attending a 4 year university, but in most cases, students should attend one before taking on the responsibilites of college. Also, dont forget financial assistance for college students. I know a man who recieved a GED and is now in a pre-med program at a very highly regarded med school. Dont dismiss the GED program. It sounds like it would be a positive option in your situation. Good Luck to you and your Child.

B

BarbaraJ

Hi there, I understand where you are coming from.... my sister got pregnant at 13, but this was almost 30 years ago... girls back then got kicked out of school if found out they were pregnant, they were shunned and made fun of.... nowadays your given the oppertunities to be anything you want to be... so make something of your life.... Keep up your search of going to school...go as far as you want.... the last message was correct... having a GED is ok you can go to a Jr college and then to a 4 year university...But if you want a high school diploma I guess your only option is to go back home...its too bad you have to do this...in my state, (Florida) if you become pregnant you are automatically considered an adult... look into the laws where you live..Everyone has the right to an education!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!

G

Grandma B

In some states, you can attend "alternative" school classes, then graduate with your class at your previously-attended high school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">