• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

her car title/his loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fati

Ohio
*guy's wife (guy moved out) has title to both her vehicle and his truck....loan on truck (and maybe her vehicle) is in HIS name
*angry wife accuses him of threats over the telephone (after he refused to pay her rent)
*guy gets arrested for wife's accusations....guy is in jail
*wife asks court if she can get the extra set of keys to HER vehicle. (no mention of HIS truck (granted)
*wife goes to guy's house (with her boyfriend), estranged son (his stepson) was at the house and locked the door
*wife breaks in the door, takes the keys and leaves with the truck
*police report filed.....landlord may not press charges (doesn't want to get involved)
*can he get the truck back? if not, what happens to the loan? (I'm sure he has to continue to pay) but what are his alternatives?

LdiJ

Ohio
*guy's wife (guy moved out) has title to both her vehicle and his truck....loan on truck (and maybe her vehicle) is in HIS name
*angry wife accuses him of threats over the telephone (after he refused to pay her rent)
*guy gets arrested for wife's accusations....guy is in jail
*wife asks court if she can get the extra set of keys to HER vehicle. (no mention of HIS truck (granted)
*wife goes to guy's house (with her boyfriend), estranged son (his stepson) was at the house and locked the door
*wife breaks in the door, takes the keys and leaves with the truck
*police report filed.....landlord may not press charges (doesn't want to get involved)
*can he get the truck back? if not, what happens to the loan? (I'm sure he has to continue to pay) but what are his alternatives?
His alternative is to file for divorce and to ask the judge to order that he gets the truck. As long as she is the only one on the title, that's all he can do. However, if he does not continue to make the payments, it will tank his credit.

Why is the truck in her name, but the loan in his?

fati

I have no idea why the title is in her name.
I believe the loan is in his name because he asked us for verification of employment....but she has never worked, so probably couldn't have the loan in her name.
Bottom line....he was stupid.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have no idea why the title is in her name.
I believe the loan is in his name because he asked us for verification of employment....but she has never worked, so probably couldn't have the loan in her name.
Bottom line....he was stupid.
WHY are you worrying about this man that you said in another post took advantage of you and who had testimony against him regarding the alleged abuse:
thanks, all. I spoke to clerk of courts and also to the judges secretary (judge is a friend of ours) and they both thought we should not do it.Here is another twist: I went to his arraignment and his wife was there with her representative. The allegations were awful and I can see why no signature bond. Wife claimed she feared for her life (like I was told she would do). They have two cars...hers a ford escape, his an F150 (I think both titled in her name but loan in his name) In court, she asked if she could get the second set of keys to the Escape...the judge agreed. The defendent asked "just the Escape?" and it was agreed.
Well, later that day, her estranged son, who lives with her husband, was leaving the house to take his driving test when his mom and her "boyfriend" showed up. He ran in the house and locked the door...which she proceeded to bust open....ran in the house....grabbed the truck keys and left with the truck. (I spoke to the landlord who confirmed) A police report was filed but so far the landlord hasn't pressed charges because he doesn't really want to get involved with HER. The landlord (who happens to be defendents boss) has some of his tools in the back of that truck.
and then this:
This guy is from out of town....father deceased....mother very ill. He really has no one.He has a past and he has things on his record. I don't believe he is a stellar guy. He has lied to us and taken advantage of us and, quit frankly, we want him out of our lives when this is over. I think he will continue to have issues, because that is what he knows.

I guess the only reason I am helping where I can....and to a certain limit, is because I have seen his wife in action and (in my opinion) she is not playing with a full deck. Has never worked and contributed, lost her children years ago and defendent worked hard so she could get her children back.....it cost him quite a bit of money. He has raised them as his own. So much, in fact, that the oldest lives with him. He lets him work along side him (construction), to earn money and gain work ethic. He tries to teach him not to go down the same path he did when he was younger. blah blah blah.
So, anyways, it's not that I think this guy is without fault in several areas...but IF his wife is setting him up, I want to make sure justice is done.

Also, it is hard for defendent to get in touch with anyone, because the jail has this stupid thing where the only way collect calls can be received is if the receiver sets up an account with this company. $25.00 increments. We finally did it on one of our cell phones...thinking it was a cell phone thing. However, I just arrived home to see that defendent tried to call my house and recording said I had to set up another account. That is crazy!
Plus, they don't tell you how much they are charging for each call.
Lady you are totally interfering with this man's life. You have no right to be calling the landlord about anything. You also shouldn't be considering bailing him out. THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. You are acting like a lovestruck mistress who wants to get her guy off. You NEED to walk away now. Seriously. He has taken advantage of you and yet you are making excuses. Codependent much? The wife did nothing wrong. She entered the MARITAL home and took the MARITAL vehicle. She had every right to do so. If the child is HER child and not your lazy criminal friend's, then she had every right to take said child as well. Your criminal has NO rights to a child that is not his. You have been fed a line and you have swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
His alternative is to file for divorce and to ask the judge to order that he gets the truck. As long as she is the only one on the title, that's all he can do. However, if he does not continue to make the payments, it will tank his credit.

Why is the truck in her name, but the loan in his?
LD there is a LOT MORE to this story.

fati

OK. I get it. I have a bad habit of sometimes thinking with my heart and not my head. I'm all for people getting what they deserve. It's just that in this case I think SHE is the guilty person...and I think that is so wrong.
He will be out of our lives soon enough. But it is hard (at least for me) to turn my back on someone in need.
To clarify...he moved out 2 weeks ago and she broke into HIS new residence.Not their marital home.
Her son is 18 and wants nothing to do with her and chooses to live with him.
The landlord (his boss) called ME today.
So, as foolish as I may seem to all of you, I will do what I can up to a limit. I will not help financially, but if I can help bring the truth out (whatever it is), then I will.
Then the book will be closed.

fati

Ohiogal
You misunderstood.....the testimony is against HER, not him. She only made allegations.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK. I get it. I have a bad habit of sometimes thinking with my heart and not my head. I'm all for people getting what they deserve. It's just that in this case I think SHE is the guilty person...and I think that is so wrong.
Based on what except for the word of someone whose character is suspect at best?

He will be out of our lives soon enough. But it is hard (at least for me) to turn my back on someone in need.
He will NOT be out of your lives soon enough because you seem to want to get sucked in further.

To clarify...he moved out 2 weeks ago and she broke into HIS new residence.Not their marital home.
Really? You are POSITIVE about the fact that it is NOT their marital home?

Her son is 18 and wants nothing to do with her and chooses to live with him.
The landlord (his boss) called ME today.
And you should not have been involving yourself to the extent that his landlord (boss) would call YOU for any reason.
So, as foolish as I may seem to all of you, I will do what I can up to a limit. I will not help financially, but if I can help bring the truth out (whatever it is), then I will.
Then the book will be closed.
Foolish yes because you are opening yourself up to a LOT of issues and possible legal problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">