• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hippa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

futuredust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

I have read on a few other threads about parents who claim due to HIPPA and the child being 14 or older they cannot obtain any medical information regarding their child.

Which leads me to this question, are there different guidelines and regulations on a state by state basis when it comes to HIPPA.

When I filled out paperwork at my children's medical providers I had the children sign as well as myself. I also added their father to their records as being allowed access to their medical records, should he so choose to inquire.

When I was recently at a new provider for our son, an allergist, I asked about HIPPA and parents not being allowed access to records if the child was 14 or over and had not signed. The office manager told me she had never heard of such a thing, that parents are allowed access to their children's medical records so long as they are under 18.

However when I was at the health department with our 16year old daughter, who was getting a birth control shot and her HPV vaccination, I was looking at her chart that was laying on the desk. The nurse told me I could pick it up if I wanted to but that if my daughter did not want me to see it she could not let me, so she asked my daughter. Who said of course, she is my mother.. but it lead me to wonder about HIPPA.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are entitled to your children's records and to make medical decisions unless there is a court order saying otherwise. HOWEVER -- and I say this only due to "wierd" little laws that allow birth control and abortions to be obtained without parents' knowledge and consent at certain ages -- there are exclusions to the law.

futuredust

You are entitled to your children's records and to make medical decisions unless there is a court order saying otherwise. HOWEVER -- and I say this only due to "wierd" little laws that allow birth control and abortions to be obtained without parents' knowledge and consent at certain ages -- there are exclusions to the law.
Thank you.

My daughter and I had a pretty in depth conversation regarding birth control and the various forms, then consulted with her physician about the options. I understand some parents believe it is giving a child license to have sex by placing them on birth control, so they will not consent. I don't believe this, and leave the choice to my daughter while explaining the pros and cons.

She asked me to take her, and actually insisted I be in the room with her. I am thankful that others her age can make the proper decision to protect themselves even if their parents will not.

And for those who say their child is not active, you have no way to know for sure. And then there are always horrible things such as rape that can happen.. we went through a pretty rough time when my child was raped, waiting to see if she was in fact pregnant. Her father not only did not believe in birth control but also failed to get her the proper medical treatment when he finally did find out she had been raped, days later. He changed his thoughts regarding birth control at that point.

Sorry, went on a tangent there..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">