• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hopefull mom in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TinaG30

I have been divorced since August of last year...I have joint custody of my son (who is 5)... The problem I am having is with my ex and his mother. It seems that they are planning on not letting my Kindergarten child not go back to school next year. Say they plan on "home schooling". I dont have a problem with home schooling unless its done by a repitible person. His mother "home schooled" his younger brother and he has a 5th grade education (he is 19 now). My son has missed 15 days of school this year. I got the school records from the school, and on the enrollment card, it says this: Primary Contact (parent/guardian) mother/father : Grandmothers name
Secondary Contact (parent/guardian) mother/father : Ex husbands name
My name is no where on this form...I have joint custody. My ex got custody of my son. I pay child-support to my ex not my ex mother in law. They have no phone number on this enrollment card, due to the fact they have no phone. But in case of an emergency no one to call. In the divorce papers it states I am to be notified in case of an emergency. If my son is hospitalized, etc. Please someone help me with this... Is there something I can do? I want my son to get an education..whether it be public or private schools. Need some advice please... I plan on going back to court to get custody of my son. The only reason I agreed to give him custody was because I am living with my mother at the time.. he was supposed to be getting a place, but he still lives with his mother, and basically has a live in sitter. She is the one who enrolls him in school, takes him to the doctor, etc....

Any info will be gratefully appreciated....

Thank you for your time...

Hopefull mom in Texas....
Tina

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Use the "Home Schooling" idea as a way to get your son back. Obviously, his mother is NOT qualified to Home School your child. Use the brother as an example, and make sure your attorney has the brother testify in court that it was his mother who "schooled" him. Use his stupidity, and inability to express himself in court, against her in your arguments to obtain custody of your child.

It's the old, "You see your honor, this 19 year old trips over his own mouth, and doesn't even understand the basics of spelling, math, or grammar. And, in terms of "good citizenship", your honor, just look at his criminal record, and you can see just how badly he was trained and schooled by his own mother. And now, she wants to Home School my child ? I don't think so, your honor."

Also, make sure your attorney thoroughly questions his mother about her abilities in using a written curriculum consisting of reading, spelling, grammar, math and a course in good citizenship.

This way, the court can see for itself that she is "unqualified". If she either doesn't know what some of these areas entail, or what some of these areas mean, or has no, or little idea of how some of these areas are to be taught to your son, then grandma cannot Home School your child, and it may be enough information for the court causing a "change in circumstances" to get your son back to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">