• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sezul67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am engaged to get married and had a question. The house I have is paid for and was paid for by a gift from my brother. It is in my name. If I get married in NC I understand its half hers also but does it apply if we happened to get divorced? I thought I read somewhere that property given to you or paid for as a gift doesn't apply to divorce property.

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am engaged to get married and had a question. The house I have is paid for and was paid for by a gift from my brother. It is in my name. If I get married in NC I understand its half hers also but does it apply if we happened to get divorced? I thought I read somewhere that property given to you or paid for as a gift doesn't apply to divorce property.

Thanks
Its separate property, so it doesn't become half hers at all. She would be entitled to 1/2 of any appreciation that occurs during the marriage if the house would be maintained by marital income, but that is all.

sezul67

Its separate property, so it doesn't become half hers at all. She would be entitled to 1/2 of any appreciation that occurs during the marriage if the house would be maintained by marital income, but that is all.
Thanks! I have trust issues and have never been married. I know good relationships and marriages can go to the crapper quickly.

Thanks again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you are wise to keep your eyes open instead of being blinded by love.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">