• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

housing rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booie5

What is the name of your state? California
My boyfriend and I have lived together for 3 and a half years. The lease is in my name as are all of the bills. He has paid very little throughout the relationship, having been unemployed for a total of a year and a half. After a lot of verbal abuse, controlling behavior and selfishness endured, I would like to break up. The problem is that every time I have tried to do this, he refuses to leave. I do not want to have to involve police and/or family/friends in order to kick him out. He has said that I will have to give him a 30 day notice in writing in order to kick him out. I am concerned about the ramifications of letting someone I no longer want in my life live in my home for the next 30 days. What are my rights? What are his rights?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? California
My boyfriend and I have lived together for 3 and a half years. The lease is in my name as are all of the bills. He has paid very little throughout the relationship, having been unemployed for a total of a year and a half. After a lot of verbal abuse, controlling behavior and selfishness endured, I would like to break up. The problem is that every time I have tried to do this, he refuses to leave. I do not want to have to involve police and/or family/friends in order to kick him out. He has said that I will have to give him a 30 day notice in writing in order to kick him out. I am concerned about the ramifications of letting someone I no longer want in my life live in my home for the next 30 days. What are my rights? What are his rights?
he is correct unless you want to face the legal ramifications of filing a false police report.

booie5

I would never file a false police report. There have been enough incidents where I could have filed a legitimate police report due to being shoved, physically kept from leaving and had verbal threats of physical violence...I do not want to go that route. So you are telling me that in order to get out of this relationship without involving the police, I have to allow him to live in a home that he contributes nothing to financially, continue to feed him, continue to allow him to invade my physical space, continue to allow him to use my television and computer, etc (possibly charging up bills) for the next thirty days?

nextwife

I would never file a false police report. There have been enough incidents where I could have filed a legitimate police report due to being shoved, physically kept from leaving and had verbal threats of physical violence...I do not want to go that route. So you are telling me that in order to get out of this relationship without involving the police, I have to allow him to live in a home that he contributes nothing to financially, continue to feed him, continue to allow him to invade my physical space, continue to allow him to use my television and computer, etc (possibly charging up bills) for the next thirty days?
Frankly, YOU chose to create the "tenancy". Now you must follow applicable Landlord tenant laws and give appropriate notice to vacate. If you failed to obtain security deposits to cover the last month financial exposure during his tenancy, that does not negate the law. It is ALWAYS a good idea when creating a roommate scenario to cover yourself with collecting, at minimum, a one month security deposit. Many I know collected a first and last month when they allowed another to move into their place.

AS to your computer access, change your passwords. What will watching your television do to it?

If he does get physical, DO file a police report and get a restraining order.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">