• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I be emancipated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxliloxxjal_93

Hello, My name is Jannette and I would really like to get more information on how to get emancipated I live in California and Im 16 so I met the age approval to get emancipated. The reason I would like to be emancipated is not because I want to be free of my parents and do what I want. I would like to be emancipated because my mother committed suicide on April 29,2008 due to family issues, my father has moved on and has a girlfriend (possibly wife) and he has a baby on the way which should be born in November, I've asked my father to let me move in with him multiple times and he always finds different excuses to turn me down such as he has no room or he lives to far or to let him wait until he improves financially. At the moment I am living with my sister (21) and her husband (22) and their baby (8 months) We live in a small back house with 2 bedrooms. I have my room but Its more of a storage room It has no bed or furniture of any kind except an old empty dresser. I sleep in the living room since my dad hasn't bought me my bed like he's been promising to do. He gives me $50 a week for anything I need and will give me more if I ask for it and he has it. But I rarely ask him for more. He pays my sister $150 for taking care of me. My sister and her husband make enough money for the rent and other necessary things but never have much left over. I never get money from my sister and if I ever borrow I always pay back as soon as I get the money. I'm attending a charter school called opportunities for learning and working on getting my high school diploma. My sister is very supportive but I feel bad being another responsibility for her when she has her son and might possibly have another child on the way. She seems stressed with everything. Which brings me to my next reason to want to leave her house is because her husband whom I trusted so much and considered family molested me when I was sleeping I never told her and I'm not to sure he knows that I know. I know I have to tell some one but I don't want to ruin her life over it. Which is why I think it would be best to move out of her house so she could move on. My moms death was really hard on everyone and so were many other problems that followed. I just don't want to get it all started again by telling them about her husband molesting me. He's a great father and husband and has never done anything else besides that. I can't be around him anymore though and especially not live in the same house with him. I have family members who I know will be willing to let me live with them but I just don't think they are stable enough to take on another responsibility when they already have so much to deal with. Another thing is that my father never visits or checks up on me, Ill be lucky to see him once a month or even to get him to answer his phone once a week. He doesn't even let me know where he lives. Last time I only found out because a family member followed him in the car to see where he lived and after I visited him he moved a couple weeks later and he claims to live in Los Angeles now which is a bit of distance from where I live now. I don't keep in touch with much of my family the only family I ever really see is My moms sister who has lupus and must go to dialysis for her failing kidneys. She has 2 daughters (17&8) and her husband. Although she sometimes has lost her mind a couple times due to her illness and problems involving my parents. But she is doing better now. I have a boyfriend(17) whom I love very much but I'm not sexually active I don't party or do drugs or drink. And although I kid around sometimes I know when the time calls to take matters seriously. If I was to qualify to get the process for my emancipation started I know I would be the only one responsible for myself and would have to worry about paying my bills and clothes and food and everything else I need. I'm looking for a job now but have not succeeded at it yet. If I were to get emancipated I would most likely move in with a friend or my boyfriend who have offered me to stay with them as long as I need. They are both very aware or my situation and their parents agree to let me stay at their house to. However I would not live off them for long. I will try hard to come forward and find a small place on my own and be responsible for myself even if money is tight. I have been reading much on emancipation and know many things about it. I would like to get the process started if possible. But I would like more information on what I would have to do to do so.
Thank you so much for your time. Ill be looking forward to a reply.

Sincerely,
Jannette A.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Last edited:

Hisbabygirl77

Hello, My name is Jannette and I would really like to get more information on how to get emancipated I live in California and Im 16 so I met the age approval to get emancipated. The reason I would like to be emancipated is not because I want to be free of my parents and do what I want. I would like to be emancipated because my mother committed suicide on April 29,2008 due to family issues, my father has moved on and has a girlfriend (possibly wife) and he has a baby on the way which should be born in November, I've asked my father to let me move in with him multiple times and he always finds different excuses to turn me down such as he has no room or he lives to far or to let him wait until he improves financially. At the moment I am living with my sister (21) and her husband (22) and their baby (8 months) We live in a small back house with 2 bedrooms. I have my room but Its more of a storage room It has no bed or furniture of any kind except an old empty dresser. I sleep in the living room since my dad hasn't bought me my bed like he's been promising to do. He gives me $50 a week for anything I need and will give me more if I ask for it and he has it. But I rarely ask him for more. He pays my sister $150 for taking care of me. My sister and her husband make enough money for the rent and other necessary things but never have much left over. I never get money from my sister and if I ever borrow I always pay back as soon as I get the money. I'm attending a charter school called opportunities for learning and working on getting my high school diploma. My sister is very supportive but I feel bad being another responsibility for her when she has her son and might possibly have another child on the way. She seems stressed with everything. Which brings me to my next reason to want to leave her house is because her husband whom I trusted so much and considered family molested me when I was sleeping I never told her and I'm not to sure he knows that I know. I know I have to tell some one but I don't want to ruin her life over it. Which is why I think it would be best to move out of her house so she could move on. My moms death was really hard on everyone and so were many other problems that followed. I just don't want to get it all started again by telling them about her husband molesting me. He's a great father and husband and has never done anything else besides that. I can't be around him anymore though and especially not live in the same house with him. I have family members who I know will be willing to let me live with them but I just don't think they are stable enough to take on another responsibility when they already have so much to deal with. Another thing is that my father never visits or checks up on me, Ill be lucky to see him once a month or even to get him to answer his phone once a week. He doesn't even let me know where he lives. Last time I only found out because a family member followed him in the car to see where he lived and after I visited him he moved a couple weeks later and he claims to live in Los Angeles now which is a bit of distance from where I live now. I don't keep in touch with much of my family the only family I ever really see is My moms sister who has lupus and must go to dialysis for her failing kidneys. She has 2 daughters (17&8) and her husband. Although she sometimes has lost her mind a couple times due to her illness and problems involving my parents. But she is doing better now. I have a boyfriend(17) whom I love very much but I'm not sexually active I don't party or do drugs or drink. And although I kid around sometimes I know when the time calls to take matters seriously. If I was to qualify to get the process for my emancipation started I know I would be the only one responsible for myself and would have to worry about paying my bills and clothes and food and everything else I need. I'm looking for a job now but have not succeeded at it yet. If I were to get emancipated I would most likely move in with a friend or my boyfriend who have offered me to stay with them as long as I need. They are both very aware or my situation and their parents agree to let me stay at their house to. However I would not live off them for long. I will try hard to come forward and find a small place on my own and be responsible for myself even if money is tight. I have been reading much on emancipation and know many things about it. I would like to get the process started if possible. But I would like more information on what I would have to do to do so.
Thank you so much for your time. Ill be looking forward to a reply.

Sincerely,
Jannette A.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Ok how do you know he molested you in your sleep? first and foremost find an adult you trust and tell them what your sisters husband did... Good men and fathers do NOT do that. Secondly, while I agree that you need to get out of your sisters house if the husband is going to be there how are you going to support yourself? In order to get emmancipated you need to prove that you can or you would not be granted it. You need to speak to your father and let him know that you need out of that house. Call the police or call your local DV shelter and see if they can give you some information for place in your town for sexual abuse victims. Please Please Please reach out to an adult. A teacher, a counselor at your school the nurse someone! Btwn your mothers death and this you have so much on your plate and you need an adult to help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I were to get emancipated I would most likely move in with a friend or my boyfriend who have offered me to stay with them as long as I need.

Until you are financially capable of supporting yourself without the help of others, you will not be emancipated. That is what emancipation MEANS. It is an absolute requirement of emancipation laws that you be able to support YOURSELF, not that you live with someone else and have them support you in whole or part.

JETX

First, I have to say that though you think you have it rough, especially at your age, there are a lot of young people out there who are not lucky enough to have family that cares enough to share what little they do have.
Also, I notice that one of your complaints is that your father says "he lives to far" for you to be with him. That sounds like the other side is that you refuse to move TO his location.
Sounds like some of these problems could be resolved if BOTH of you wanted.

In any case, in order to even be CONSIDERED for emancipation in California, you MUST be able to PROVE (to a court) that you meet ALL of the following:
* You are at least 14 years old.
* You don't want to live with your parents. Your parents don't mind if you move out.
* You can handle your own money.
* You have a legal way to make money.
* Emancipation would be good for you.

On the surface, it sounds like you don't qualify on several of those items.

At some point, if you feel you do qualify, you MUST read and UNDERSTAND all of the information at the following site:
California Courts: Self-Help Center: Families & Children: Emancipation: Steps to Get a Declaration of Emancipation

I suggest you seriously consider getting counseling or mediation with your parents or consider other alternatives (living with another adult - like an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or family friend... with your fathers PERMISSION of course!!). Talk with your school counselor or some other responsible adult. Help is there if you ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">