• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I legally stop a harrassing EX??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Helpless in NY

NY

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to legally stop an ex from harassing me and my boyfriend.

My boyfriend's ex keeps coming to our house and now is threatening to come to our workplace (we both work for the same employer). She is constantly calling and texting and e-mailing and since she has his ss# she was able to find out where he works and started calling the office phone number.

She hasn't been physically abusive and therefore there is no legal proof (as far as I know)to get a restraining order. However, if she shows up at the workplace (and she has done this before at a different job about 3 years ago) I know for sure he and I will both be fired. It's a small business and that kind of crazy psycho behavior will not be tolerated. When she did this last time- she showed up and made a huge scene in front of everyone at work including my boss.

I wanted to know if there's anyway to file some sort of a complaint or somehow get an order that would prevent her from coming near us. I know this may sound childlike or some sort of h.s. behavior but this woman has been interfering in our lives for over 3 years and will not go away. She has found out where we live (bec. she has his social security number) and has moved near us. I can handle her nonsense at home but if she shows up at the job as she has done previously, we will both loose our jobs.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :confused:

Gracie3787

NY

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to legally stop an ex from harassing me and my boyfriend.

My boyfriend's ex keeps coming to our house and now is threatening to come to our workplace (we both work for the same employer). She is constantly calling and texting and e-mailing and since she has his ss# she was able to find out where he works and started calling the office phone number.

She hasn't been physically abusive and therefore there is no legal proof (as far as I know)to get a restraining order. However, if she shows up at the workplace (and she has done this before at a different job about 3 years ago) I know for sure he and I will both be fired. It's a small business and that kind of crazy psycho behavior will not be tolerated. When she did this last time- she showed up and made a huge scene in front of everyone at work including my boss.

I wanted to know if there's anyway to file some sort of a complaint or somehow get an order that would prevent her from coming near us. I know this may sound childlike or some sort of h.s. behavior but this woman has been interfering in our lives for over 3 years and will not go away. She has found out where we live (bec. she has his social security number) and has moved near us. I can handle her nonsense at home but if she shows up at the job as she has done previously, we will both loose our jobs.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :confused:
Figure out what evidence and witnesses that you can come up with and file for a protective order. That's really all the both of you can do for now.

Helpless in NY

Enough proof?

Figure out what evidence and witnesses that you can come up with and file for a protective order. That's really all the both of you can do for now.
The only winteness I have would be our friends and family members that have witnessed her "in action". As far as evidence- there are e-mails and phone calls but none of them are threatening, I do have one e-mail where she mentions how she knows where he lives and works but again no physical threats against him or me... would this be sufficient for an order of protection?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">