• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can i make decisions for my step child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ilovemykids

What is the name of your state? NY my husband has full custody of his daughter.her mother has no parental rights. child is 4. i've raised her since she was 1.5. are there papers or something i can sign to be able to sign her up for things and request info on her and sign things. i do the majority of the financial, school(pre k), and medical things, but i always get stopped in my tracks. they say i can't do anything for her, her father has to, even though he has custody and we are married.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ilovemykids said:
What is the name of your state? NY my husband has full custody of his daughter.her mother has no parental rights. child is 4. i've raised her since she was 1.5. are there papers or something i can sign to be able to sign her up for things and request info on her and sign things. i do the majority of the financial, school(pre k), and medical things, but i always get stopped in my tracks. they say i can't do anything for her, her father has to, even though he has custody and we are married.

My response:

Until such time as you adopt the child, you have no legal rights or legal standing vis-a-vis the child. Period. End of story. There are no "forms" for you. If and when the mother's parental rights are terminated, then you can start thinking about adoption. Until then, you have zip.

Why do you have "Las Vegas" under your forum name, and "New York" in your post?

IAAL

lsut1ger

Your husband can execute a power of attorney giving you the right to seek medical care, etc. for the child on his behalf.

Have your husband contact his attorney and see about drafting one.

I

ilovemykids

i used to live in las vegas. now i live back in ny. is that true? can my husband do a power of attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">