• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we stop his ex from calling him constantly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Busywoman

We live in California. My fiance's divorce is nearly final although she's refusing to sign the final Judgment. My question is this: how can we stop her from harassing him by phone? She calls him and harasses him at LEAST 5 times every day. She sends him harassing text messages. They have two daughters together. Can we get a restraining order against her to stop the telephone calls?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

We live in California. My fiance's divorce is nearly final although she's refusing to sign the final Judgment. My question is this: how can we stop her from harassing him by phone? She calls him and harasses him at LEAST 5 times every day. She sends him harassing text messages. They have two daughters together. Can we get a restraining order against her to stop the telephone calls?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Irresolvable contradiction in your post.

Zephyr

Stop answering the phone- he should only return the calls that are necessary to return....she'll eventually get tired of talking to voicemail.....and really, it's not uncommon for someone to go a little squirrelly when they have been so quickly replaced....give the situation a little time to cool down

Gracie3787

Does she call you? If she doesn't, this is your fiance's problem and only he can take action.
Since they have children together, he needs to attempt to limit any converstaions to only the children. He can ignore emails that don't refer to the children and he can hang up when she calls and refuses to speak only about the children.

FarmerJ

Simple , if you have one phone number for the place you both live in as in regular phone service and he has a cell phone Change the house phone number and NEVER call her from it with out dialing *67 first ( test it out calling a cell phone so you can see the call ID, if it says not avail or private then its fine to do it that way , If she will not accept private calls then he needs to use a cell phone, EVEN a prepaid one will work , then this way he can look at it , see it is her and let the voice mail get it when he cannot be disturbed and have the phone co change the number on the house phone and pay the non published fee so it is not published in 411 services. This way he is able to speak to her about the kids, he can save any messages that he needs to and you will be free of the problem, IF you cannot get a cell phone then ask the phone co for custom ringing , they stack a whole new number onto the same line , it has a different ring pattern when callers dial that one , when that one is dialed you would hear the different ring and be able to answer the phone with out checking call ID and know it is for you.

Busywoman

Harassing calls part 2

I guess I should have clarified. He's got 2 phones, a personal cell and a cell for work only. She calls him numerous times a day and he does usually just let it go to voicemail. Here's the fun part..she's bipolar and border-line personality disorder. She goes from extreme fits of rage to extreme melancholy in a heartbeat.
It is HIS problem as he's the one who gets the phone calls. But I see what it does to him. Even listening to the voicemails breaks him down. We can't afford an attorney. Given that they share custody I don't know if a restraining order would work. We have to do something. It really is getting out of control.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Honey, sweety ...

Let's start with this:
YOU CANNOT be a fiance when the fella in question is MARRIED to someone else.

Since it appears that the WIFE is calling the HUSBAND, YOU m'dear aren't a party to this LEGALLY. Suggest that you back out of this picture until the fella is DIVORCED. K?

Since her calling really sounds like he is IGNORING the calls, she can try until she reaches him. If he isn't calling back promptly (or at least reasonably), could be that she is trying. Sounds like all the STBX's are bi-polar these days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">