• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change my son's name????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Oklahoma Mommy

When my son was born, my boyfriend at the time was put onto the birth certificate and given his last name, even though we weren't married. A paternity test later showed that he is NOT my sons father. I honestly have no idea who his father could be. I sent the test results to the health department in hopes that they would take his name off the certificate and give my son my maiden name. They wouldn't.

I am now married with 2 daughters and want so desperately for my son to have either my maiden name or my husband's name. (the only father he has ever known) How do I go about this and how much will it cost us? I really want this done before he starts school. Thanks.

PS We are in Oklahoma.

A

Arevalo

Hi

When my son (who is now 8) was born I gave him his fathers name as well. After months of his father not seeing him, I went to court (I had the fees waivered because at the time I was on public assistance) I believe you have to go to a trial court/family court. The court asked me my son's father's last known address and also the name chance request had to be put in our local newpaper (the fees for this was also waivered) After about a month when my son's father didn't come forward. I went before the judge and my son took my last name.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">