• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I disown my parents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnohlman

I am a 16 year old female in SW Florida and want to know what steps I must take in order to disown my parents, who are emotionally and pshysically abusive. Where do I start? I have weighed the trade-offs and am positive I want to do this.

G

Grandma B

Do you have a minister or school counselor you feel you can trust?

If you can prove the abuse, you could also involve DCF or law enforcement.

Good luck, dear. Being 16 years old can be tough enough without having to suffer abuse at home.

G

Grandma B

Please, IAAL

If the poster had only indicated emotional abuse, I might have thought it was a spoiled teenager who wanted to complain about their parents. If she's being physically abused by one/both parents, she needs and deserves some assistance.

The post was written intelligently and the youngster wasn't making hateful remarks; just asking how to proceed.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I took it down.

My intent was to demonstrate the seemier side of life; that things in life are not so rosey on the "other side of the fence".

Usually, stories of this type, by young teenagers like our writer, are exaggerated and it's really their hormones that are the culprit.

But, it may have been a little too rough - - so, it's gone.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-25-2001 at 12:27 AM]

G

Grandma B

What a peach you are!

(Don't tell LB I said that though!)

I'm in total agreement w/you about life on the other side, and also about most of the teens who complain about their parents. This one just struck me as intelligent and possibly sincere.

Thank you, big guy

LegalBeagle

jnohlman said:
I am a 16 year old female in SW Florida and want to know what steps I must take in order to disown my parents, who are emotionally and pshysically abusive. Where do I start? I have weighed the trade-offs and am positive I want to do this.
http://www.djj.state.fl.us/youth3.html

Look over this page.. it lists a number and some shelters in FL. This could be an option. Also (800) 96-ABUSE

As hard as it can be, any complaint or booking into a shelter would have 10 times the impact if you have *just* been physically abused.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">