• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get rid of live-in boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused51

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I have my boyfriend living with me and asked him to leave because of emotional and verbal abuse. I'm afraid of him when he's drunk. How do I get him out of my house, when he says he has a right to stay, since he pays me 200.00 a month. I'm afraid to have him in my home without me, since he takes things. He took my computer modem so I couldn't email anyone. He says he has a legal right to be there since he's lived there one year. What kind of rights does he have, if any? The cops can only help if he threatens me and physically abuses me...How can I get him to leave?

Last edited:

LdiJ

snostar said:
Have him served with an eviction notice.
You could also try just simply changing the locks and packing up his stuff and leaving it somewhere safe that he can access it...however if he is really determined he might be able to force you (legally) to let him back in until you properly evict him.

snostar

LdiJ said:
You could also try just simply changing the locks and packing up his stuff and leaving it somewhere safe that he can access it...however if he is really determined he might be able to force you (legally) to let him back in until you properly evict him.
NO!!, this could definitely cause her more problems, see:
Unlawful Removal or Exclusion; Recovery of Possession

This man has established legal tenancy rights:
Remedies for Tenants; Definitions

Tenant. "Tenant" means any person who is occupying a dwelling in a building as defined in subdivision 7, under any agreement, lease, or contract, whether oral or written, and for whatever, period of time, which requires the payment of money or exchange of services as rent for the use of the dwelling unit, and all other regular occupants of that dwelling unit, and any resident of a manufactured home park.
http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Minnesota/566.html#566.18.7

OP, your are required to comply with state laws for eviction.
For further information:
http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Minnesota/566.html#566.18.7

nextwife

SnoStar is CORRECT! He has established a form of legal tenancy and she must comply with applicable L/T laws to remove him. She could face legal consequences for not doing this LEGALLY. And "locking him out" would be an illegal interferance with his tenancy.

As stated above you have no choice other than to follow the legal eviction process. I wanted to add, however, that while going through the legal eviction process you're going to need to lean on your friends to get through this. Your ex-boyfriend is going to make this as ugly as he can for what ever as he no doubt wants revenge (even though you probably don't deserve it). The way I see it you have two ways of going about the eviction process. First, the next time he gets drunk and threatens you, call the police and tell them you're afraid of for your safety. Any time he does anything but be nice and peaceful you could call the police and tell them you fear for your safety. You're taking a risk of getting him more mad of course if you go this route and it could make matters worse. Your second choice is to simply do the best you can while you go through the necessary motions of evicting him to just simply get along. Try your best to have a heart to heart with him and explain to him that it's over, your sorry but it's best for both of you if he just moves out so you both can get on with your life. Chances are he won't take it well but I'd be surprised if he didn't move out early because he'll know after you serve him an eviction notice that you mean business. Thirdly, even though it's taking a huge risk, you could change the locks etc...Like someone said in an earlier post it's not a good idea and you risk him having legal options on his side but you have to make the decision of whether or not you think he'd actually get a lawyer and use the legal options available to him. 99.9% of the people out there wouldn't take the time to look into their legal options and take you to court. He'll eventually realize (even if he does start court proceedings) that he has nothing to gain - you certainly would never take him back after he sues you and so he'd be wasting money for something that's not going to go anywhere.

Anyway you look at it you have gotten yourself into a mess. Please do yourself a favor and realize that's it's never a good idea to live with a man until he's given you a wedding ring (notice I didn't say engagement ring!). Only after a wedding when he's totally committed himself to you should you move in with him, until then you're taking too big of a risk. For further proof watch these boards, this question comes up again and again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">