• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does a 16 yr. old get emancepated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrumpot

I live in Utah. I am trying to help my daughter's friend out. She is dealing with a mood swining mom. The girl wants to get out of her home, she wants to get emancepated. What do I tell her to start the process? It's either this or get sent to her dad that was conviced of sexual assult.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Utah. I am trying to help my daughter's friend out. She is dealing with a mood swining mom. The girl wants to get out of her home, she wants to get emancepated. What do I tell her to start the process? It's either this or get sent to her dad that was conviced of sexual assult.
Actually no. She will not get emancipated. Does she have a job? Can she support herself completely? Can she keep a roof over her head and graduate from high school? Who was her dad convicting of sexually assaulting? Mom is allowed to have mood swings. Most people have them at times.

scrumpot

Leslie will turn 17 in October. Yes she has a job, she has been supporting her self for the last 8 months. She buys her own cloths,food, meds., pays for her own phone bill. Leslie is still in school and has a B average for her grade.
Her mom has thrown her out so many times it's really sad. Her mom fights with her because the mothers boyfriend trys to hit her mom. Then the mom's boyfriend tries to hit her little brother so she defends him then ends up getting in to it with her mom.
My daughter has spent the night there on several differnt nights and has been witness to thier fights first hand.
Leslie's mom is bipoler and does not take her meds.. Leslie has on differnt occasions been witness to her mom doing drugs. When Leslie throws out the moms drugs the mom flips out even more on her.
As for Leslies dad he molested his own daughter from another woman, as well as his step daughter from his now xwife.
As for the brother the mom dont dare treat him bad cause his dad will end up taking the son from her again as he had done twice in the past.
The only time the mom freaks out and tries to act like a mom is when Leslies dad call's and ask's to talk to Leslie and wants to know where Leslie is. When he cant talk to Leslie he then threatens to turn her mom in for being a bad mom. Till then she never calls Leslie or even cares what happens to her.
I dont know what to tell her other than try to work it out with her mom. Maybe see if she can try to stay with her distant family. I would let her stay with me but Leslies afraid her mom will do something bad to my family and me.
So PLEASE someone tell me how do I help this child?

Antigone*

Leslie will turn 17 in October. Yes she has a job, she has been supporting her self for the last 8 months. She buys her own cloths,food, meds., pays for her own phone bill. Leslie is still in school and has a B average for her grade.
Her mom has thrown her out so many times it's really sad. Her mom fights with her because the mothers boyfriend trys to hit her mom. Then the mom's boyfriend tries to hit her little brother so she defends him then ends up getting in to it with her mom.
My daughter has spent the night there on several differnt nights and has been witness to thier fights first hand.
Leslie's mom is bipoler and does not take her meds.. Leslie has on differnt occasions been witness to her mom doing drugs. When Leslie throws out the moms drugs the mom flips out even more on her.
As for Leslies dad he molested his own daughter from another woman, as well as his step daughter from his now xwife.
As for the brother the mom dont dare treat him bad cause his dad will end up taking the son from her again as he had done twice in the past.
The only time the mom freaks out and tries to act like a mom is when Leslies dad call's and ask's to talk to Leslie and wants to know where Leslie is. When he cant talk to Leslie he then threatens to turn her mom in for being a bad mom. Till then she never calls Leslie or even cares what happens to her.
I dont know what to tell her other than try to work it out with her mom. Maybe see if she can try to stay with her distant family. I would let her stay with me but Leslies afraid her mom will do something bad to my family and me.
You say this woman is mentally unstable and yet you allow your daughter to spend the night there? Are you kidding? Oh heaven... I just don't get it!

Proserpina

Is Leslie in danger?

If she is, why hasn't professional help been sought?

What proof do you have of these allegations?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She pays rent, utilities and all her own transportation costs? She works full time? She still attends school and has a b average? If not then she is NOT self supporting.

Why hasn't CSB been called?

And you have put your child in danger. Good parenting mom.

What drugs?

HOW do you KNOW this?

Really? Is this the same dad that molested his own child?

And yet NO ONE has turned her in for being a bad mom. Why not?

CALL CSB and see if they find anything. And don't allow YOUR child to spend the night and thus endangering her.

LdiJ

You can call CPS/CSB/Child Services or whatever they call it in your area....or you can encourage Leslie to talk to her school counselor when school resumes, as they are mandated reporters.

Other than that, there is honestly nothing you can do to help this child, other than being her friend.

However, you are crazy to allow YOUR child to spend the night over there.

scrumpot

First of all I did not know Leslie's mother was so unstable when I let my daughter go over. Once I found out about Lesloe's mom my kid has never been back since.
Yes Leslie has a full time job, and she was paying rent till her mom took her back home by force.
As for Leslie's dad, I talked to her dad about Leslie staying with me. When I called back to work the last details out Leslies grandmother talked to me. She told me everything that was going on with Leslie's dad and his xwife.
As for calling cps they cant do anything when there are no visable marks on Leslie's body. They told me that right now all it is, is Leslie's word against her mom's word.
As for talking to the school counsler, Leslie doesnt trust them at all. Leslie told one of them something private, the counsler then went to Leslie's mom and well it went to hell from there for her. I asked Leslie what she said to the counsler, she said so wanted to know about sex and protection. Here in Utah I guess they feel that, that's the parents job to inform their kids about sex. It became a big deal when it didnt need to be.

Proserpina

Leslie has a full time job and is in school too?

And in my very humble opinion, yup - it is the parents' job to inform their kids about sex. Who else's job would it be? :confused:

(That doesn't mean it was ok for the counselor to break the confidence - but still, it was a bit of an odd statement)

You are not being asked these questions to be given a hard time - please understand that. But becoming emancipated is very, very difficult (and for good reason). If you still believe that Leslie not only qualifies to become emancipated but that doing so will be in her best interests, there is information to be found here Utah State Courts - Court Resources.

In all honesty, I don't think it'll happen. Allegations are one thing - proof is an entirely different matter, and so far you don't seem to have much proof of anything. Grandma telling you tales is not proof that Dad is guilty of anything.

ETA: There's more information here, too. http://www.youth411.utah.gov/emancipation.html

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm surprised that no one suggested that, instead of throwing Mom's (apparently illegal) drugs out, Leslie call the cops.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First of all I did not know Leslie's mother was so unstable when I let my daughter go over. Once I found out about Lesloe's mom my kid has never been back since.
Yes Leslie has a full time job, and she was paying rent till her mom took her back home by force.
As for Leslie's dad, I talked to her dad about Leslie staying with me. When I called back to work the last details out Leslies grandmother talked to me. She told me everything that was going on with Leslie's dad and his xwife.
As for calling cps they cant do anything when there are no visable marks on Leslie's body. They told me that right now all it is, is Leslie's word against her mom's word.
As for talking to the school counsler, Leslie doesnt trust them at all. Leslie told one of them something private, the counsler then went to Leslie's mom and well it went to hell from there for her. I asked Leslie what she said to the counsler, she said so wanted to know about sex and protection. Here in Utah I guess they feel that, that's the parents job to inform their kids about sex. It became a big deal when it didnt need to be.
How does Leslie have a full time job if she only has a work permit and teenagers are NOT legally allowed to work full time while attending school?

meme30067

Ok im 15 i have a job i have a place i can stay i just wanted to no everything about being emancipated in the state of AL can i get emancipated at 15 i have no problms at home but im ready to be on my own iv pretty much taken care of myself 4 the past yeear so plz help!!!!!!!!!!!1:confused:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ok im 15 i have a job i have a place i can stay i just wanted to no everything about being emancipated in the state of AL can i get emancipated at 15 i have no problms at home but im ready to be on my own iv pretty much taken care of myself 4 the past yeear so plz help!!!!!!!!!!!1:confused:
Start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">