• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does one become emancipated in Alabama?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EL88

:Alabama:

I require my parents' personal/tax information for school scholarships and grants. They have made it clear that they want nothing to do with me since I left their religion, and will not allow me such information.

I have lived with, and been supported by, my mother's parents for the past 18 months, and am a legal Alabama resident (my parents live from place to place, from hotel to hotel. I think they're in Ohio now). I still require their income/personal info, barring my suddenly getting married/having a child/joining the army. However, I was told that emancipation would also be applicable in waiving the need for parental information.

Would this really work? And how much would it cost/who would I have to see? Because that is something my parents probably wouldn't hesitate to sign.

Also, I am 18, and will be 19 in October.

Silverplum

I don't know about the college stuff, but the answer would fall under the same category as my standard emancipation answer, which is as follows:

One would show that one is ready to be considered a grownup by doing one's own homework.

;)

I require my parents' personal/tax information for school scholarships and grants. They have made it clear that they want nothing to do with me since I left their religion, and will not allow me such information.

I have lived with, and been supported by, my mother's parents for the past 18 months, and am a legal Alabama resident (my parents live from place to place, from hotel to hotel. I think they're in Ohio now). I still require their income/personal info, barring my suddenly getting married/having a child/joining the army. However, I was told that emancipation would also be applicable in waiving the need for parental information.

Would this really work? And how much would it cost/who would I have to see? Because that is something my parents probably wouldn't hesitate to sign.

moburkes

When authorized; procedure generally.
The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he is the guardian of such minor.

(2) Whenever any such minor, having no father, mother or guardian, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, shall file a petition with the court to be relieved of the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

(3) Whenever any such minor, having no father or mother, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, but having a guardian, shall file a petition with the juvenile court to be relieved from the disabilities and the guardian shall join in such petition and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

To become emancipated for college purposes is difficult.

seniorjudge

Q: How does one become emancipated in Alabama (or anywhere else in the universe)?

A: It's a two-step process. Get a job. And then pay 100% of your bills.

LdiJ

This is a tough one, and one where I think that the rules regarding financial aid are grossly unfair to the student whose parents refuse to participate. I suggest that you get a sit down discussion with a financial aid counselor at the school you are planning to attend. It may be possible for your grandparent's information to be used in lieu of your parent's information, or there may be a way to leave off your parents information entirely.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I suggest that you do a search on the internet for 'financial aid dependent student divorced'. There is the part that you have lived with your grandparents for the past 18 months. That will be the key for you. You should be a dependent of your grandparents, not the parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">