• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get legal rights as stepparent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2001stepparent

i live in pennsyvania my stepsons mom is in delaware somewhere. i am the primary caregiver of my stepson. i need to know the best way to have legal say in cases of emergeny. we have not heard from his mom since 10/00. we were planning to do guardianship is this the right way or should we try something else. how do you go about it.

MySonsMom

StepParents don't have legal rights to their stepchildren. The only rights you have to them is given through one of the biological parents. (In your case, your husband) As far as emergencies, have him fill out a permission slip for you to keep in your purse giving yourself permission for medical emergencies or whatever.

With my stepchild, I was the one that sought all medical attention, filled out paperwork, enrolled child in school, was called for emergencies etc...But I was able to do that because my husband allowed me to. Just to be on the safe side if you are ever confronted with just being a stepMother, have a permission slip available that authorizes you to do those things. I never had any problems, but some people get questioned.

If your husband doesn't already have physical custody of the child, you will need to get that done asap. If the Mother is not around a lot, file for full custody.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">