• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get my sons name changed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

o0dezeray0o

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

my name is Dezeray and i have a 3 yr old. when my son was born he was giving his bio dads name so my son is a jr, but everyone has always called him by his middle name. my sons father just decided to drop out of my sons life and has wanted no contact with my son for over 2 years which was ok with me because my son didnt need somone like that as a father figure anyways. i am planning to get married and my boyfriend asked if he could adopt him my son. ever since he came into my sons life he is so happy he considers him his dad and i would want nothing more then him to have his last name and to have a dad that loves and cares for him. how would we go about this? what do we need to do to get his name changed? this is something we really need done its not just that we are just thinking about it. we are serious and since i dont know the law when it comes to this stuff we need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks
Dezeray

Antigone*

my name is Dezeray and i have a 3 yr old. when my son was born he was giving his bio dads name so my son is a jr, but everyone has always called him by his middle name. my sons father just decided to drop out of my sons life and has wanted no contact with my son for over 2 years which was ok with me because my son didnt need somone like that as a father figure anyways. i am planning to get married and my boyfriend asked if he could adopt him my son. ever since he came into my sons life he is so happy he considers him his dad and i would want nothing more then him to have his last name and to have a dad that loves and cares for him. how would we go about this? what do we need to do to get his name changed? this is something we really need done its not just that we are just thinking about it. we are serious and since i dont know the law when it comes to this stuff we need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks
Dezeray
No court is going to allow you to change your son's name to your boyfriend's last name. If your boyfriend is serious about your son then you need to wait until you are married for a few years and then he can file for adoption.

dannyt

bf is not dad to your son

to have a dad that loves and cares for him
no matter how much your bf loves and takes care of your son, he is a legal stranger, not dad. and i really hope your son is not calling bf dad, because if it ever comes up in court, you will have problems.

Proserpina

Dezeray
(You did choose him to be Dad....)

So, was Dad ever legally established as Dad?

Did you ever have any court orders?

Just Blue

no matter how much your bf loves and takes care of your son, he is a legal stranger, not dad. And i really hope your son is not calling bf dad, because if it ever comes up in court, you will have problems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~k-dar~~~~~~~~~~~~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">