• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much notice do I have to give my ex-boyfriend to move out of my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDHomeowner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I own my own home in Maryland (PG County) and my boyfriend moved in with me about 9 months ago. We do not have a written lease agreement, but we agreed upon a monthly rent, which he is currently overdue on by a few months. We are in the process of breaking up and he has mentioned several times that I have to give him 60 days notice to move out, but I do not think this is true based on what I've seen online. Can I just give him 30 days notice that his lease is not being renewed? Since our agreement is verbal and the term is based on his monthly payments? What is the requirement?

And jumping ahead a bit, if I give him the required notice, and he does not vacate prior to the termination date of the lease, do I then have to start eviction procedures from scratch? Or does the termination of lease notice count towards the eviction period of time?

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I own my own home in Maryland (PG County) and my boyfriend moved in with me about 9 months ago. We do not have a written lease agreement, but we agreed upon a monthly rent, which he is currently overdue on by a few months. We are in the process of breaking up and he has mentioned several times that I have to give him 60 days notice to move out, but I do not think this is true based on what I've seen online. Can I just give him 30 days notice that his lease is not being renewed? Since our agreement is verbal and the term is based on his monthly payments? What is the requirement?

And jumping ahead a bit, if I give him the required notice, and he does not vacate prior to the termination date of the lease, do I then have to start eviction procedures from scratch? Or does the termination of lease notice count towards the eviction period of time?

Thanks!
You need to give proper notice before the beginning of the next rent period. Which means not 30 days from today. If he is supposed to pay on the first, then if you give notice today, he would supposed to be out by January 1, 2014. It is 30 days notice per this site:
http://www.peoples-law.org/node/282

I am not affiliated in anyway with that site and give it only for information. If he does not leave and you have given proper WRITTEN NOTICE, then you have to file with the court to start eviction procedures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">