• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much protection can you get from a Prenuptual Agreement? Questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MJT82

What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON (WA)

I own my own business, I have a business partner and we're an S-Corp.

Anyways, I am working towards reconciliation with my ex-wife who divorced me, due to no good reason, just thinking the grass is greener on the other side and personal issues. She also tried to take me down bigtime financially, but luckily didn't get all that much. She now wants me back and realizes the huge mistake she made and seems to have really genuinely changed as a person. But, due to her past and the trust that is now lost and will be slowly rebuilt over time I feel like I need to try to protect myself financially should she ever try to do something like this again.

So my question is, can prenuptual agreements protect against things like this?

For example:
If she later down the road after we are remarried decides she thinks the grass is greener again and is having an affair, and/or wants to divorce me, can we have the prenuptual agreement say that she gets nothing except what she brought into the marriage?

LdiJ

MJT82 said:
What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON (WA)

I own my own business, I have a business partner and we're an S-Corp.

Anyways, I am working towards reconciliation with my ex-wife who divorced me, due to no good reason, just thinking the grass is greener on the other side and personal issues. She also tried to take me down bigtime financially, but luckily didn't get all that much. She now wants me back and realizes the huge mistake she made and seems to have really genuinely changed as a person. But, due to her past and the trust that is now lost and will be slowly rebuilt over time I feel like I need to try to protect myself financially should she ever try to do something like this again.

So my question is, can prenuptual agreements protect against things like this?

For example:
If she later down the road after we are remarried decides she thinks the grass is greener again and is having an affair, and/or wants to divorce me, can we have the prenuptual agreement say that she gets nothing except what she brought into the marriage?
Yes, you can certainly have the prenuptual agreement state that. However, the length of your marriage might make a difference in whether or not a judge will enforce the prenup.

MJT82

LdiJ said:
Yes, you can certainly have the prenuptual agreement state that. However, the length of your marriage might make a difference in whether or not a judge will enforce the prenup.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how much it might cost roughly to have a lawyer write up a prenup for me? And what kinds of lawyers are best for prenup law? Should I be able to find lawyers who specialize in it?

Zephyr

AmarieNorton said:
Go to www.lawdepot.com. They have prenups that you can buy. All you do is fill out the form and it'll create a legal document for you. It does cost though but it'll be MUCH less than hiring a lawyer.

I would add to this though that you will want to pay a laywer to review the finished document just to make sure you are legally covered and there is no llittle sneaky loop holes in there for another lawyer to find...just a thought, I think it may be the best $200.00 you will ever spend

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">