• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband needs proper medical care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missyp626262

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My husband is in need of mental health care but refuses to give the doctors the proper information to treat him. he has been TDOed 2X in the last 2 years and over the last several months has steadily been trying to kill himself by killing his already damaged heart. We have a young son that wants his daddy and i don't want to just let him die. I know he probably won't sign a medical power of attorney. and even if he does how can i make him take his medication. he is already disabled and receives disability for his schitzophrenia and bipolar. is there anything else i can do i heard it is real hard to get something done in the courts. he can't make the right decisions to get better anyway. please any information can help. he told me today that when he got out of the hospital he was leaving and didn't know where he was going. i have heard this too many times i just hope he will end up in another hospital and not in the ground this time. Scared Wife

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My husband is in need of mental health care but refuses to give the doctors the proper information to treat him. he has been TDOed 2X in the last 2 years and over the last several months has steadily been trying to kill himself by killing his already damaged heart. We have a young son that wants his daddy and i don't want to just let him die. I know he probably won't sign a medical power of attorney. and even if he does how can i make him take his medication. he is already disabled and receives disability for his schitzophrenia and bipolar. is there anything else i can do i heard it is real hard to get something done in the courts. he can't make the right decisions to get better anyway. please any information can help. he told me today that when he got out of the hospital he was leaving and didn't know where he was going. i have heard this too many times i just hope he will end up in another hospital and not in the ground this time. Scared Wife
The problem is you can't force him to take medication; unless he is declared incompetent or a danger to himself/others (and even then it's not a given that he would be forced to take medication against his will) there's not much you can do.

Unfortunately he still has the right to refuse treatment.

Have you got the children in counseling to help them deal with this?

missyp626262

my son is under 2 so he doesn't really know what is going on. my daughter is 5 and she just thinks he is sick she has been staying with my parents for a while now to help me out with everything. she just asked me yesterday if he was going to be home to help her carve her pumpkin for halloween. he might get out of the hospital tomorrow. i guess his heart is stable but he hasn't started taking anything for the depression that is causing him to hurt himself. i told him earlier today that i can't just watch him die and his reply was just leave then. i am so scared i have depression also so i understand it but i guess i just have to let him do what he is going to do and try to do the best i can for the kids. its just not fair to them.

Proserpina

my son is under 2 so he doesn't really know what is going on. my daughter is 5 and she just thinks he is sick she has been staying with my parents for a while now to help me out with everything. she just asked me yesterday if he was going to be home to help her carve her pumpkin for halloween. he might get out of the hospital tomorrow. i guess his heart is stable but he hasn't started taking anything for the depression that is causing him to hurt himself. i told him earlier today that i can't just watch him die and his reply was just leave then. i am so scared i have depression also so i understand it but i guess i just have to let him do what he is going to do and try to do the best i can for the kids. its just not fair to them.
No it's not and I really do empathize with you.

In case you haven't, you may want to take a look here: Schizophrenia.com - Frequently Asked Questions

There's a wealth of information and links to various agencies/groups who may be able to help you further.

I'm sorry you're all having to go through this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">