• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husbands income legally half mine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marjaj

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has opened a checking account in his name only and is having his salary directly deposited to this account. He is the only one listed on the account and I will not be placed on the account. He has told me to set up my own checking account and he will give me a certain amount per month to put in that checking account. Isn't half of everything he makes legally mine? I am a stay at home other and we have two small children. I also have two teenagers from a previous marriage and have always deposited my child support into our joint account and have used that money in our family budget. Isn't there something that I can do legally in this situation.? I object to this and feel that it is wrong. Also, we closed on our house refinance today. The loan for our house is in his name only, although both of our names are on the deed. My husband pulled out all of the equity and will be placing it in his account. Isn't half of that equity legally mine? I need to know what the law provides for this situation.

kat1963

No, you have a family matter to deal with. If it can't be worked out between the two of you or the two of you and a marriage counselor, then a family court judge will make the determination of what share you are entitled to from the equity of the house, child support and/or spousal support (if any). VA is not a community property state. However, because you were married during the purchase of the home, you would be entitled to equity. How much would be determined by other factors and impossible to say.

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">