• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hyphenated Name Child for 8 year old daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hyphennamechang

From what I have read online, getting my daughter's last name hyphenated with her step fathers last name is a no no. My daughter's biological father, my first husband, passed away in a car accident 5 years ago. My fianc� has taken over the roll of father for my daughter. He really loves her and wants to adopt her but neither of us want to replace her biological father. My solution to this was hyphenate her last name. That way she would have both of her dad's names. We still talk about her biological father very often so she doesn't forget him and to help remind her that even though he's not physically here with her, he will always mentally be there with her. Will there be anything that will hold me back from being able to change her name or should I be able to do it fairly easily?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what I have read online, getting my daughter's last name hyphenated with her step fathers last name is a no no. My daughter's biological father, my first husband, passed away in a car accident 5 years ago. My fianc� has taken over the roll of father for my daughter. He really loves her and wants to adopt her but neither of us want to replace her biological father. My solution to this was hyphenate her last name. That way she would have both of her dad's names. We still talk about her biological father very often so she doesn't forget him and to help remind her that even though he's not physically here with her, he will always mentally be there with her. Will there be anything that will hold me back from being able to change her name or should I be able to do it fairly easily?
What state are you in?

In your situation, a name change (which is what a hyphenation actually is) should be fairly straight-forward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">