• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hyphenating my last name to my children's last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imaANGEL

My 10 & 11 year old have recently very adamantly asked to use my last name instead of their father's(I changed my name after divorcing 6 years ago).

Although I've repeatedly told them that they can change their names to anything they want them to be when they are 18 (I'm guessing), on many occassions I find their homework papers, notes, or the like with my last instead of their own.

We will be changing school systems next year and I was wondering if there were any legal ramifications in the State of California if I were to enroll them by hyphenating their last name followed by my last name.

This would keep their fathers' name and give them the option of using mine, or both, if they choose to in a consistant manner.

Hyphenating would appease their request and conveniently link me to my children through name association (their paternal father is very removed from their school and social activities).

My ex-husband would never consent to such a change proposition.

My girlfriend just starting using her mother's last name, as a child, 40 years ago, and it was considered acceptable by usage at that time.

Although I've taken the subject very lightly until their most recent request, it seems that the kids had a few good points:

Why should a child carry only the father's last name after divorce?

Why shouldn't they be able to use their mother's name, if they want to?

I don't want to get into a geneology debate, but, it seems that the mother should indeed have the right to add her last name through hyphenation, whether the father consents or not.

Is there a way to add my name to their's without his consent?

Who'da ever thunk it when I was filing for their birth certificates and believed I'd be married forever to their father??? Geez.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">