• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkstars

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

What are my rights as a step mom in TN? Such as with school field trips, notes, anything from the school. Can I take my step children to the doctor or where ever they would need care? do I need to carry some kind of documentation with me, when I do take them to the doctor?

cyjeff

As a step parent, you are a legal stranger to the child.

Therefore, to obtain anything requiring parental approval (like medical care), the parent will have to be notified and approve the procedure.

Zephyr

What are my rights as a step mom in TN? Such as with school field trips, notes, anything from the school. Can I take my step children to the doctor or where ever they would need care? do I need to carry some kind of documentation with me, when I do take them to the doctor?
Neither parent is available or willing?

Silverplum

From a 2nd thread:

I wrote a post earlier, but I am not sure if I actually post. Sorry if this is a dupilicate. I live in TN and have step children. I need to know what my rights are as a step mom.

1. school notes-anything received from the school?
2. can I go on school field trips with the children?
3. can I take the children to the doctor or anywhere they may need care?
4. do I need to carry any kind of documentation with me?
5. can my husband go back and have some sort of clause added to his parentin plan so I , as the childrens step mom can have rights?

My husband and his exwife coparent the two children. They share parenting--equal

FarmerJ

During the time the minor child is in your home if the child is say late for school , it is very likely the school may accept a note / call from a step parent stating why the child was late as a legitimate excuse BUT any other thing like Dr appointments No , I would think that for you to be able to act on the fathers behalf that he would have to contact clinic ahead of time to see if giving you written consent to do so would be fine for them. BUT for this to work with out any trouble I suppose it would all depend on how well the father and the childs mom get along. DO the childs parents get along well enough regarding issues of parenting that you could have a non life threatening situation limited medical use only POA ? so this way the child can get that routine physical, that sore throat that wont go away looked at ? If the parents get along well enough then perhaps they can work thru this whole thing. Yeah I imagine you might feel like a group home staff person doing it that way. BUT you know it would cover your and the parents butts.

enjmabe

Hi I live in NC and my husband and I have been married for 5 years , I have full custody of my son and there has never been any issues with school , Dr appointments or anything else, but every situation is different, My son does not know that my husband is not his bio dad and the school and doctors both know this. We are in the process of a step parent adoption, as the bio dad has consented. Good luck! I am glad to see that there are step parents out there that are willing to do things for their step kids and treat them as their own. Thumbs up!:)

Isis1

Hi I live in NC and my husband and I have been married for 5 years , I have full custody of my son and there has never been any issues with school , Dr appointments or anything else, but every situation is different, My son does not know that my husband is not his bio dad and the school and doctors both know this. We are in the process of a step parent adoption, as the bio dad has consented. Good luck! I am glad to see that there are step parents out there that are willing to do things for their step kids and treat them as their own. Thumbs up!:)
treating a child as their own when they have no legal right, can get a custodial parent in a bunch of trouble. even cause a loss of custody. then as a NCP, they could end up with restraining orders and possibly only supervised visits of the said child.

step mom would need a Power of Attorney if neither mom or dad is available to take child to see the doctor.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What are my rights as a step mom in TN?
ESPECIALLY since you appear to be the wife of an NCP - as many legal rights as the stranger walking down the street - NONE if your name doesn't appear on legal documents conferring any rights to you.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest staying out of places that can throw a money wrench into a co-parenting situation. It should be the PARENTS who participate as room mothers, parents on field trips etc.

Now, if there were an emergency, sure you could take a child to the emergency room. You would have as many rights as my neighbor if she took my child there. At that point, it needs to be the PARENTS who take over.

Now, say that both parents feel comfortable that a step take a child to get their teeth cleaned, get an allergy shot, etc., then if that person has a medical POA for specific items, it could work.

But because you are here asking this question, suggest that you get your nose out of the middle of these two parents co-parenting situation.

Silverplum

Please stop posting in other people's threads.
You have no legal knowledge to offer.

That's simply despicable.

mommyof4

My son does not know that my husband is not his bio dad and the school and doctors both know this

Very nice. Nothing says "motherly love" more than involving others in deceiving your child.

Despicable.

Expect your child to have trust issues and massive therapy bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">