• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i want to keep my grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

christiansmom

What is the name of your state? california
my husband and i were given guardianship of our grandson because our son at the time could not take care of him. in the last 5 years our son has done well for himself and has said he wants his child back we have had this child for 10 years. i love this child like he is my own. we got served papers to terminate guardianship and what to know what are my rights? we have asked our grandson where he wants to be and he says he wants to stay with us. in the paperwork we got serverd it says we are unfit to care for him my husband does have a drinkng problem and has been arrested for dui he has been in several detox places and i have moved out of the house but since being served i came back to mend our marriage i am the stepparent but i am a fit parent. can our son just come in and take our grandson from us? we will fight in court if our grandson wants to stay but do we have a chance in court because he is the biological father

sroutlaw

If your son (step son?) is fit (meaning he has a job and no record) you have no chance at all. If he has some record of legal troubles, you may have a slight chance. But the reality is, you need to let this child go to his parents, get on with mending your marriage and getting your husband dry. This child is not yours, and it is not in his best interest to be raised in an alcoholic, controlling household. This assumes, naturally, that his mom and dad aren't WORSE - and even then, the court will side with them.

Good luck on finding the proper focus for your energies now that your GRANDSON has his family back, if that happens.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The other thing to be very careful about is how your fight will affect your relationship with your son and subsequently your grandson. You may find that Dad is leary of allowing even visitation with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">