• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I move in with boyfriend/father of our child am I giving up rights with child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smm

What is the name of your state? I will be moving from Kansas to Utah.
My boyfriend and I had been together for 15 years in California, he bought property but would not include me in the process so my son and I moved to Kansas in 2004. My boyfriend and I may try and make things work again however this time moving to Utah. Am I putting myself in a position of losing custody or being forced to remain in Utah if we do not work things out? Also, what are the common law requirements in Utah? I want my boyfriend to always have a relationship with our son but do not want him to control where my son and I live if he and I do not stay together. Our son is only 6 and I won't let him fly alone, if we do not stay together can I enforce that one of us always flys with him until he is older?

Last edited:

Zephyr

smm said:
What is the name of your state? I will be moving from Kansas to Utah.
My boyfriend and I had been together for 15 years in California, he bought property but would not include me in the process so my son and I moved to Kansas in 2004. My boyfriend and I may try and make things work again however this time moving to Utah. Am I putting myself in a position of losing custody or being forced to remain in Utah if we do not work things out? Also, what are the common law requirements in Utah? I want my boyfriend to always have a relationship with our son but do not want him to control where my son and I live if he and I do not stay together. Our son is only 6 and I won't let him fly alone, if we do not stay together can I enforce that one of us always flys with him until he is older?
if you are there long enough, yes.

Nocgirl

If he is the legal father of the child, he has every rights to a relationship with the child. Yes he can absolutely prevent you from moving out of state. How is the father going to see the child if you do that and are you willing to help pay for transportation costs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">