• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal to live together?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyhawk

Hi! Is it true that it is against the law for a non-married couple to live together in NOrth Carolina? We plan to relocate from South Florida on July 1 to the Charlotte area. My boyfriend contacted a realtor to find us a rental home and was told that it was against the law for them to rent us a house if we were not married! Does this apply to apartment living as well? Is there any way around this (say that I rent the place and then add him to my lease?). We are relocating as of July 1 and are afraid of what this could mean for us!!!! Help!!!

MySonsMom

ladyhawk said:
Hi! Is it true that it is against the law for a non-married couple to live together in NOrth Carolina? We plan to relocate from South Florida on July 1 to the Charlotte area. My boyfriend contacted a realtor to find us a rental home and was told that it was against the law for them to rent us a house if we were not married! Does this apply to apartment living as well? Is there any way around this (say that I rent the place and then add him to my lease?). We are relocating as of July 1 and are afraid of what this could mean for us!!!! Help!!!
Oh wow, I have NEVER heard of such a thing. I would have to safely assume that it's false. But then again, I'm not sure.

That's so bizarre that he told you that!

MSM

L

ladyhawk

reply to MSM re my question on illegal to live together

Hi, MSM. Are you an attorney? Is there someone (or somewhere) you can refer me to find out if this is true? I have emailed several real estate agents in the Charlotte area asking about this. I know many states have very ancient laws, which might be rarely (if ever) enforced, and this could be one of them - no cohabitation between non-married persons! I hope this won't become a problem for us!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">