• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois - wife owns home - dies - husband rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbeier

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

My wife owns the home we live in. We've been married for 12 years. I've paid 1/2 taxes and 1/2 home improvement loans for gutters, siding, windows, roof, furnace, decorating, remodeling upkeep etc. In addition, some of the furniture belonged to be from before the marriage. My daughter still lives in the home with us. Do I have any rights to occupy the home in the event of my wife's death? The home is in a revocable trust and her children are the exclusive trustees. I am 54 yrs old.

Thanks for any help

JETX

cbeier said:
Do I have any rights to occupy the home in the event of my wife's death?
Absent a 'life estate', you have no inherent rights to tenancy if you have no ownership.
Sounds like you hope you get along with your step-children.... or better start looking for another home.

nextwife

if a trust, and not she, owns the hiome you live in, I would presume you cannot accrue marital property rights to it. Talk to wifey about ammending the trust to give you a life estate when she dies, still leaving the house to the kids, but allowing you to remain the rest of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">