• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrectly spelled name on Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micg0113

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

OK so i recently found out my first name is spelled wrong on my Birth Certificate, i have found out how i need to go about fixing that, but i am getting married in a month and was wondering if i dont get it fixed before we get married will this cause any legal issues with my marriage? will it be legal if my name on my birth certificate is spelled differently than whats on my marriage licsence? The place i am getting my marrieage licsence only requires a photo ID. please advise and thank you in advance.

mistoffolees

OK so i recently found out my first name is spelled wrong on my Birth Certificate,
Really? Seems to me that it would be more accurate to say that you've been spelling your name wrong since birth. After all, the birth certificate was there first. :D

In any event, I would start the process for fixing the birth certificate. Then, once that's underway, I believe you could legally sign the marriage certificate with the corrected name.

micg0113

Well the spelling of my name is correct on all my other documents like my SS Card and my Certificate of Baptismal, it appears when the nurse filled out my Birth Certificate she spelled my first name wrong and my parents never caught it.

LdiJ

OK so i recently found out my first name is spelled wrong on my Birth Certificate, i have found out how i need to go about fixing that, but i am getting married in a month and was wondering if i dont get it fixed before we get married will this cause any legal issues with my marriage? will it be legal if my name on my birth certificate is spelled differently than whats on my marriage licsence? The place i am getting my marrieage licsence only requires a photo ID. please advise and thank you in advance.
My mother's first name was spelled wrong on her birth certificate and she had to get a legal name change through the courts. However that was a good 40 years ago so things may not be the same now.

mistoffolees

Well the spelling of my name is correct on all my other documents like my SS Card and my Certificate of Baptismal, it appears when the nurse filled out my Birth Certificate she spelled my first name wrong and my parents never caught it.
I guess you missed the great big smiling face at the end of my first paragraph. You see, that emoticon indicates that it was a joke. :rolleyes:

The real advice was in the second paragraph.

justalayman

You are missing misto's point. Since the BC was created first, it is evidence of all other spellings of your name are what are actually incorrect. The BC cannot be wrong because the other items have your named spelled differently. It has to be the other items have your name spelled wrong because your name is not spelled the same on them as it is on your BC.

I cannot find much of anything regarding specific rules or directions that control this. I suggest you contact the office of vital records of your state and inquire with them.

http://www.health.ri.gov/programs/vitalrecords/index.php

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">