• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance - one child gots everything, the other got nothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)Fl?
(please excuse typo in header)

A friend of mine has a dilemma. Her mother died 2 years ago. She's child #2 in the will below in the mother's handwriting
(no lawyer was involved) This is the will:

I want child #1 to get all my worldly possessions, money, stock, apartment, car and everything I own. Want child #2 to get
"nothing" THEN she *crossed out* the following: $1000.00 or whatever's left to share. I'm in sound mind and good health.
It was notarized by two people. My friend is child #2 who said the mother was emotionally unbalanced. She was told
a mother can not leave everything to one child and nothing to the other. True? False? There's a part 2 to the question, too.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)Fl? (please excuse typo in header)

A friend of mine has a dilemma. Her mother died 2 years ago. She's child #2 in the will below in the mother's handwriting
(no lawyer was involved) This is the will:

I want child #1 to get all my worldly possessions, money, stock, apartment, car and everything I own. Want child #2 to get
"nothing" THEN she *crossed out* the following: $1000.00 or whatever's left to share. I'm in sound mind and good health.
It was notarized by two people.

My friend is child #2. Does she have any recourse? There's a part 2 to the question, too.

Thanks
Why does child #2 think she is entitled to anything? Hint: She is not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would suspect there is more to this story than you are aware of. Your friend should ask her own questions, to be honest.

I would suspect there is more to this story than you are aware of. Your friend should ask her own questions, to be honest.
The lady is my neighbor who's in her 60's and doesn't use the Internet. She asked me to put up the info and do the typing for her and she'll dictate whatever
info is needed. Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was her money and she specifically excluded the your neighbor from her will.
I suggest that your friend have this matter reviewed by a local attorney to find out if the will is valid.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The lady is my neighbor who's in her 60's and doesn't use the Internet. She asked me to put up the info and do the typing for her and she'll dictate whatever
info is needed. Thanks.
Fine. What IS the rest of the story? Because there is more.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Good find. The advice is still the same though...the person involved, whether it be the OP or the OP's neighbor (yeah, right) should seek the advice of a local attorney.
Yup. Perhaps OP thought the answers would change this time around?

Why such a big deal. I'm doing it for a friend. The first time she asked I used a different pronoun to avoid confusion. She was told most recently that a child couldn't be disinherited, especially if the mother is mentally ill, especially since she helped her mother a lot. It's that simple. Thank you for your replies.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
why such a big deal. I'm doing it for a friend. The first time she asked i used a different pronoun to avoid confusion. She was told most recently that a child couldn't be disinherited, especially if the mother is mentally ill, especially since she helped her mother a lot. It's that simple. Thank you for your replies.
A MINOR child cannot be disinherited. But in Florida, an adult child can be disinherited.

YOUR FRIEND SHOULD SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY.

Do you understand yet?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">