• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inlaw 'hiding' sick family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbrady33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD, other party in Hawaii

My wife's sister live in Hawaii, we are east coast. Her husband hates us. The sister is ill (brain tumor), the court has ruled that she is capable of making her own decisions (in response to Adult Protective Services trying to have her admitted to a facility after he beat her).
She ended up in long term/nursing care at her local hospital. She is mostly coherent but has very bad sense of time and memory. She has stated many times that she wants to hear from my wife, and anytime we were unable to find her (When moved to a new facility) she would be upset that it took so long for my wife to call her. (The husband would not answer phone calls or give her new location for long periods of time, and she doesn't have the memory to remember our number or the motor skills to dial it).

Now to make it more complicated - he moved her to a private care/nursing setting, the hospital would give us no information (even though my wife is family) - just saying "You have to ask her husband". Wouldn't even confirm that she was alive and moved, just that they would release no information.

Finally got a return call from the husband - "Write this down (address of nursing home), she has no phone yet, I'll never speak to you again, don't ever call me *click*.

Is there anything we can do to require that someone notify us of her location when she is moved again?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD, other party in Hawaii

My wife's sister live in Hawaii, we are east coast. Her husband hates us. The sister is ill (brain tumor), the court has ruled that she is capable of making her own decisions (in response to Adult Protective Services trying to have her admitted to a facility after he beat her).
She ended up in long term/nursing care at her local hospital. She is mostly coherent but has very bad sense of time and memory. She has stated many times that she wants to hear from my wife, and anytime we were unable to find her (When moved to a new facility) she would be upset that it took so long for my wife to call her. (The husband would not answer phone calls or give her new location for long periods of time, and she doesn't have the memory to remember our number or the motor skills to dial it).

Now to make it more complicated - he moved her to a private care/nursing setting, the hospital would give us no information (even though my wife is family) - just saying "You have to ask her husband". Wouldn't even confirm that she was alive and moved, just that they would release no information.

Finally got a return call from the husband - "Write this down (address of nursing home), she has no phone yet, I'll never speak to you again, don't ever call me *click*.

Is there anything we can do to require that someone notify us of her location when she is moved again?
NO, there is nothing you can do. Her husband has the right and duty to care for her.

jbrady33

NO, there is nothing you can do. Her husband has the right and duty to care for her.
Sure, but can he also be required (court order?) to notify her family of her new location

Sister can put your wife down as a contact person with the nursing home.
And she would, but she is not mentally capable of this. Her saying/yelling "I want to talk to my sister" over and over doesn't get us her location or the name of the facility, and she is incapable of memorizing our phne number and address.

Antigone*

Sure, but can he also be required (court order?) to notify her family of her new location

And she would, but she is not mentally capable of this. Her saying/yelling "I want to talk to my sister" over and over doesn't get us her location or the name of the facility, and she is incapable of memorizing our phne number and address.
Get a judge to order it.:cool:

ecmst12

She doesn't necessarily need your address or phone number. She needs to tell the nursing home your wife's name, and sign a paper saying that they can release information to her. A court ruled that she was capable of making decisions for herself, so she should be able to manage that much. Once wife's name is on file, she can provide her contact info herself. You know where she is now, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">