• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inter-family harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chai1836

I'm in KS; Uncle in CO...

I have an uncle who is fanatically religious, almost to the point of being dangerous.
My Fiance converted to my religion through a very observant method and is an extremely
devoted person. My uncle has been contacting the a council in Chicago, that has endorsed
the conversion, and is trying everything he can to disrupt our lives and stop my marriage from
taking place. He is trying to do this for very selfish motives, specifically he feels the family
will be unpure if we don't do things his way. Can I file harassment charges since he is openly trying to
harass me and the rest of my family by his egregious behaviour? Do I have a right to protect my family and me
from the harm that he is trying to inflict?

We need the backing of the council to ensure that our future generations are accepted as well and it
is very important to both of us that my uncle be forced to stay out of our lives...

Is there ANYTHING we can do...please help!!

Thank you..

LdiJ

chai1836 said:
I'm in KS; Uncle in CO...

I have an uncle who is fanatically religious, almost to the point of being dangerous.
My Fiance converted to my religion through a very observant method and is an extremely
devoted person. My uncle has been contacting the a council in Chicago, that has endorsed
the conversion, and is trying everything he can to disrupt our lives and stop my marriage from
taking place. He is trying to do this for very selfish motives, specifically he feels the family
will be unpure if we don't do things his way. Can I file harassment charges since he is openly trying to
harass me and the rest of my family by his egregious behaviour? Do I have a right to protect my family and me
from the harm that he is trying to inflict?

We need the backing of the council to ensure that our future generations are accepted as well and it
is very important to both of us that my uncle be forced to stay out of our lives...

Is there ANYTHING we can do...please help!!

Thank you..
I honestly don't know, and I don't know if anybody else here will necessarily have any answers for you. You can talk to an attorney to see if you have any grounds for filing a suit against him, or for getting a restraining order. However if your uncle is that fanatical about your family's religion that STILL may not stop him.

Have you talked to your church leaders to see if they can provide you any assistance?

chai1836

Thank you for the kind reply. I don't necessarily want to sue him, I would rather just file a police report that makes it so he must stay away and STOP interfering in my life.

Can I justify a restraining order to make it illegal for him to do what he is doing?

LdiJ

chai1836 said:
Thank you for the kind reply. I don't necessarily want to sue him, I would rather just file a police report that makes it so he must stay away and STOP interfering in my life.

Can I justify a restraining order to make it illegal for him to do what he is doing?
I honestly think that you would need to ask a local attorney.

I agree that you need to seek local legal advice but also don't be afraid to do some of the basics like changing your phone number. I know it's a pain for you but this may come down to a 'choose your pain' sort of situation. It may not go anywhere but attempting to contact your Uncle's cleric for a heart to heart chat may end up being positive for you as well. (small chance but one that may be worth taking)

chai1836

leaf...that is really great advice, this whole thing has me sick to my stomach. I just wish people would leave other people alone and let them be happy. The unfortunate part is that the way my uncle practices the religion has been indoctrinated from his superiors, no doubt he is getting fuel from them to use against us. It is really a shame that he intentionally created such a disaster.

thanks again for all of your advice.

chai1836

Stealth,

It is not a matter of him contacting me, I want him to be forced to stay out of my business by contacting other religeous leaders and such. He is too much of a coward to contact me directly.

Thanks...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">