• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interference with parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

32Delta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
I'm the non-custodial parent and my ex's parents babysit our children while he is at work. His mother has the children calling her mommy and refers to herself as their mother. Can I legally do anything about this?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
I'm the non-custodial parent and my ex's parents babysit our children while he is at work. His mother has the children calling her mommy and refers to herself as their mother. Can I legally do anything about this?
That's just sick. :mad: Why would she do that? :confused:

32Delta

My children are 2 and 4. I know that they call their Grandma "mommy" because I have heard them do it while spending time with them at their grandparents house. They also do it when I have visitation with them. They refer to me by my first name. I've tried correcting it but the grandmother is no help and unfortunatly I do not get to spend a lot of time with my children. Can anyone tell me what I can have done about it?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

My children are 2 and 4. I know that they call their Grandma "mommy" because I have heard them do it while spending time with them at their grandparents house. They also do it when I have visitation with them. They refer to me by my first name. I've tried correcting it but the grandmother is no help and unfortunatly I do not get to spend a lot of time with my children. Can anyone tell me what I can have done about it?
How much time do you have with your children? I ask this because I live with my mom and sometimes my son calls me Nana and sometimes he calls her Mama... could this possibly be a case that you are overreaching (not assuming that you are, just offering the possiblity) and its actually a slip? Does their Grandmother, who seems to spend quite a bit of time with the children call YOU by your first name? Is it just a case of small children calling YOU the wrong name?

Just offering a bit of innocent explanation (trying not to be so cynical here!)

Hisbabygirl77

Why are you not seeing your children frequently? Is there an actual court order which states your visitation times? If the children call their grandma mommy then I would gently correct them. " She is your grandma you may call her that you have a mommy and a daddy I am your daddy. You need to call me that not my first name that is for other adults to call me. " say it with a hug. If grandma objects then tough. Are the visitations required to be supervised? If not and you have a court order I would make sure that the time you spend with the children is away from the grandparents home.

Proserpina

And in reference to your other thread (I figured it'd be better to address that here seeing as this one has more responses - just easier to keep things all together), on what basis do you plan to claim your ex is unfit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">