• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interfering step mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rfrescura

I have custoday of my 16-year old daughter. Her father (my ex) just went to prison for the next 4 years. His wife does not have any kind of visitation rights or legal rights over my daughter. I have found out that she plans on buying my daughter a car and keeping it in her name. She plans on doing this so if I ground my daughter from the car she says she can have me arrested for auto theft. She also says she will keep an extra set of keys so if I take my daughters keys, the step mother will give her the spare set and she can still drive. Do I have any ground here? Can someone buy my minor a car without my permission and keep it in their name without any say so from me? We live in Michigan

[Edited by rfrescura on 02-28-2001 at 09:10 AM]

B

BugHogan

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see where she could arrest you for "auto theft" for not letting your daughter drive the car. I think she is full of it. It sounds like she is playing some sort of game with you, by buying a car for your daughter, but not putting it in her name, instead keeping it in her name so she can have control.

Since your daughter is 16 and you are the custodial parent, you have the say and the control over your child, not her. I didn't have a car until I was 17, almost 18. I wasn't even responsible enough at 16 to have my own car. So I don't blame you for your concern.

I'm sure the legal experts on here will have good advice for you. I just wanted to respond, because this sort of thing is ridiculous. She shouldn't be pitting your against your daughter in this way. I'm a step-parent and I want to let you know that we're not all like this! Personally, if she was pulling this crap on me and my child and didn't leave me alone, I'd file a restraining order on her.

MySonsMom

You are the parent and have every right to make this decision. Say no to the stepmother and to your daughter. Let them both know when the time is right for the child to have a car, you will be the one to supply it.

You set rules, and stick to them. You do not allow the child to drive that car.

Good luck!

J

jwf49

As a lay person I agree with and support the comments to this point. As a Michigan resident I would also point out the need to have no-fault insurance on the vehichle and with the driver. Is the other person willing to pay for this as well? None the less, as the legal guardian you have the responsiblity to set the limits for your minor child and in Michigan that means until she is 18 years old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">