• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

invading domestic partner's privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sos46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I found out that my girlfriend is cheating on me by reading her text messages on her phone. I also used her facebook account to snoop around. Is it legal for me to check her cell phone messages? Is it legal for me to use her facebook account? She has no lock or pin for her phone, and she has told me what her facebook account password is.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I found out that my girlfriend is cheating on me by reading her text messages on her phone. I also used her facebook account to snoop around. Is it legal for me to check her cell phone messages? Is it legal for me to use her facebook account? She has no lock or pin for her phone, and she has told me what her facebook account password is.
Yes, its illegal. Yes you are invading her privacy.

sos46

what if she were to agree to lend me her phone for some reason, surely it could not be illegal for me to check her messages then?

LdiJ

what if she were to agree to lend me her phone for some reason, surely it could not be illegal for me to check her messages then?
Yes it would, because you do not have to check her messages to send and receive calls.

sos46

She never did lend me her phone. What I am thinking now is how I could have obtained the information that I have legally. If I tell her my phone broke or ran out of battery, and she agrees to lend me her phone for, say a few hours. Could that not be considered that she gave me permission to use her phone, which would include giving me access to her messages.

sos46

to rephrase my question then; what would it take for me to get access to her text messages legally?

Proserpina

If you can't actually discuss whatever fears or doubts you have with your partner without snooping...you've got absolutely no business at all even playing at a relationship let alone actually being in one.

Grow up.

ecmst12

Just break up with her and move out. Make sure you keep paying your rent until the end of your lease.

sos46

Blue Meanie: thanks, that could be tricky though :)

should_I_ask and Dogmatique: a little scary to see how people can get so convinced that their own assumptions are true... for no good reason... you seriously can not see the possibility that i might have good reasons for doing this? i tell her everything i think, i feel, i fear. i tell her i trust her. i tell her what i expect from her. i tell her everything i dont like about her. i found out by accident and then i started snooping around. this woman really has been quite terrible to me, and i want to have a little bit of fun at getting back at her. i deserve it and she deserves it.

ecmst12: will do! thanks

Proserpina

a little scary to see how people can get so convinced that their own assumptions are true... for no good reason... you seriously can not see the possibility that i might have good reasons for doing this? i tell her everything i think, i feel, i fear. i tell her i trust her. i tell her what i expect from her. i tell her everything i dont like about her. i found out by accident and then i started snooping around. this woman really has been quite terrible to me, and i want to have a little bit of fun at getting back at her. i deserve it and she deserves it.

Oh, it's not that we don't see the reasons you have - suspicion (justified or not), paranoia, vengeance - the list is virtually endless. It's that you're willing to break the law in order to get back at her.

Is she really worth that much of your effort? Don't give her that kind of power over you.

ecmst12

If you had suspicions, you should have ASKED her about them. Snooping was wrong and is wrong. Trying to get revenge is even MORE wrong. Make a clean break and move on. And LEARN from the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Blue Meanie: thanks, that could be tricky though :)

should_I_ask and Dogmatique: a little scary to see how people can get so convinced that their own assumptions are true... for no good reason... you seriously can not see the possibility that i might have good reasons for doing this? i tell her everything i think, i feel, i fear. i tell her i trust her. i tell her what i expect from her. i tell her everything i dont like about her. i found out by accident and then i started snooping around. this woman really has been quite terrible to me, and i want to have a little bit of fun at getting back at her. i deserve it and she deserves it.

You want to find a legal way to justify your 'snooping' into something that isn't yours to 'snoop' into. Even if you were married doesn't justify you doing what you did. If you don't trust her, you don't trust her. Love without trust is no love at all. You feeling and STATING that you have justifiable reasons to snoop says you DON'T trust her. Dogmatique and I haven't assumed anything! Check out your own posts! YOU have provided the background for the statements we both (and others) have made.

She never did lend me her phone. What I am thinking now is how I could have obtained the information that I have legally. If I tell her my phone broke or ran out of battery, and she agrees to lend me her phone for, say a few hours. Could that not be considered that she gave me permission to use her phone, which would include giving me access to her messages.

to rephrase my question then; what would it take for me to get access to her text messages legally?

Reread what you wrote, step back and read it from an outsiders standpoint.... what conclusion would YOU come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">