• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Commitment of My Mother's Husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nurgle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Harris county, Texas

Hello. I am 17 years old and live in the state of Texas. The man my mother is married to is very mentally unstable, having been professionally diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia in the past. He was placed on multiple prescriptions for it during his first marriage but has refused to take them while he's been with my mother, claiming he has no mental issues or problems. He is also a drug addict, being addicted to crack cocaine.
He is physically, emotionally and verbally abusive to my mother and has been for years now and I am tired of sitting here letting him do this to my mother when she has done nothing to deserve it. He has also been physically abusive to me once in the past.
My mother won't have him committed because he's the money maker, and neither will his mother who lives with us and has seen the things he's done. But I do not care how much money this man makes, he needs professional help. We have tried leaving multiple times before but we always come back because my mother is unable to work and we have no other place to go.
A few hours ago he physically abused my boyfriend who simply went into their bedroom while they were fighting and told him that he needs to calm down. I have image documentation of the marks on him. I also have access to my mother's email where I know there are folders upon folders of the insane emails that he sends her.

I come here asking for help and advice on what I can do myself to get him committed and to get my mother out of danger. Is there anything I can do at the age of 17? Any advice, links, phone numbers I can call would be so greatly appreciated. I want this man out of the house because I am scared for my mother's safety and no one else will do anything about it.

OHRoadwarrior

Stay out of your moms life. She chose to marry him. She chooses to stay there. Your boyfriend has no business sticking his nose in theirs. If you feel a law is being violated call the police. You and mommy don't get to keep all his stuff and have him thrown into a whacky ward. I suggest you and mommy get off your butts and get jobs.

Last edited:

Nurgle

Stay out of your moms life. She chose to marry him. She chooses to stay there. Your boyfriend has no business sticking his nose in theirs. If you feel a law is being violated call the police. You and mommy don't get to keep all his stuff and have him thrown into a whacky ward. I suggest you and mommy get of your butts and get jobs.
Thank you for your kind, wise words but I was not asking for your opinion in the matter. I was asking for advice on how to go about doing something like this.

Proserpina

You have no standing to do anything.

Your mother is CHOOSING to remain in the relationship.

Next time you hear them fighting, call the police if you think there's actually a credible danger. Otherwise, she's an adult who is capable of making her own decisions.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Hello. I am 17 years old and live in the state of Texas. The man my mother is married to is very mentally unstable, having been professionally diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia in the past. He was placed on multiple prescriptions for it during his first marriage but has refused to take them while he's been with my mother, claiming he has no mental issues or problems. He is also a drug addict, being addicted to crack cocaine.
He is physically, emotionally and verbally abusive to my mother and has been for years now and I am tired of sitting here letting him do this to my mother when she has done nothing to deserve it. He has also been physically abusive to me once in the past.
My mother won't have him committed because he's the money maker, and neither will his mother who lives with us and has seen the things he's done. But I do not care how much money this man makes, he needs professional help. We have tried leaving multiple times before but we always come back because my mother is unable to work and we have no other place to go.
A few hours ago he physically abused my boyfriend who simply went into their bedroom while they were fighting and told him that he needs to calm down. I have image documentation of the marks on him. I also have access to my mother's email where I know there are folders upon folders of the insane emails that he sends her.

I come here asking for help and advice on what I can do myself to get him committed and to get my mother out of danger. Is there anything I can do at the age of 17? Any advice, links, phone numbers I can call would be so greatly appreciated. I want this man out of the house because I am scared for my mother's safety and no one else will do anything about it.
If your Mom is unwilling to do anything, then you can do nothing. Your b/f should not have gotten himself involved - it is even less his business than it is yours. Maybe you should contact your Dad and see about whether he'll file for a change of custody so you can get out of that mess of a home.

commentator

You can get away when you are eighteen. You can tell your Mother how you feel and how hard this is for you. You can certainly tell her that you will call the police if you feel that she is threatened. You can do that.

But your mother is an adult making her own choices. Once she has that dependency/protective mindset going with this boyfriend, don't be surprised if she sides with him, lies for him and becomes very angry with you, even if he was choking her to death when the police arrived.

Likewise, taking his psych meds are a choice, involuntary commitments do not happen often these days. Certainly not at the behest of a minor living in the home when even her parent or guardian that she feels is endangered doesn't want it. You mother has selected her own living situation, and unfortunately dragged you into it. It would be nice if there were another custody arrangement that could be done for you. But as close as you are to aging out, just making the time and then moving out might be best.

Usually involuntary commitments tend to be made when the party has attempted or threatened suicide or serious harm to others. It would need to be suggested by the law enforcement agencies that have been called in, and decided by a judge. There would need to be pretty clear evidence that the person was unable to behave rationally, care for his own physical needs. This doesn't sound like it is even close to being the case here.

If your mother's boyfriend is still employed, supporting all of the people you mention in the household, he is not too far gone into mental illness or drug addiction and is able to control himself at least during part of the time. So what he does to your mother may be mean, it may be assault or abuse, but it probably isn't done because he's mentally out of control. It is very much a choice, it is a calculated behavior. It may be criminal, and you should treat it as such, call the police if he assaults you or your friend again.

But remember, it's really up to your mother and what she will tolerate from this person. Apparently his mother lives with you or you and your mother live with her also, is it your mother's house or hers?....I suggest you begin planning quickly to get out of the situation as soon as you can.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In her household, the sole breadwinner is a crack-addicted schizophrenic. Uh-huh.

Antigone*

Your boyfriend had absolutely no business entering another man's bedroom. If you felt your mother was being abused, you should have called the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">