• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Irresponsible Parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renkma

I am Canadian (Ontario) but hope someone might be able to offer me some knowledge of Canadian law for my issue.

I need to protect myself legally from two very irresponsible parents. I recently found out that neither one has life insurance, both have mortgages, neither have any savings to speak of. They have been seperated for 25 years, but not legally divorced. Father (73 years) has been living with a woman for 20 years. Mother (71 years) had a partner who passed on six years ago, leaving her nothing but the mortgage and no mortgage insurance. I believe my sister is named as successor on both their wills, but she has followed in their footsteps - has no job, no money, nothing. I am terrified that when parents pass on, it will all fall into my lap. I certainly can not take any of that on- I can only support myself as it is - and am afraid it will then fall into my husband's lap.

What are my rights? How can I legally protect myself from having their irresponsibility come down on me? Is it possible to disown them? Should I consider divorcing my husband to protect him? I am estranged from my father, but on speaking terms with mother - but she is mentally delicate and any talk of her financial situation makes her drop into debilitating depressions - she can not be spoken to on serious matters.

If I may expand - my mother's mental state is not one of frailty - it is abusive. She has always been mentally abusive to my sister and myself with pathological guilt, threats, etc. I do not want to come across as cold and callous in my legal question. I simply need to know what my rights are to protect myself from people that have never done anything to help themselves or plan for their future.

renkma

Thanks for the ever so polite and kind response.

Excuse me for tarnishing your fabulous US board.

Can't find how to get my post out of here, or how to get my filthy Canadian profile out. Administrators - delete me. I'd spend more time looking for a way to do it myself, but honestly, I couldn't be bothered to spend anymore time in here than I have to.

This curt and rude way of speaking to us is one of the reasons why Canadians (and much of the world) loathe Americans

Thanks again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Can't find how to get my post out of here, or how to get my filthy Canadian profile out. Administrators - delete me. I'd spend more time looking for a way to do it myself, but honestly, I couldn't be bothered to spend anymore time in here than I have to.

This curt and rude way of speaking to us is one of the reasons why Canadians (and much of the world) loathe Americans

Thanks again.
You're welcome - don't let the the FA-Door hit you in the behind on the way out, eh.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks again.
Really? The first thing any post beginning a thread asks is WHAT IS YOUR US STATE? The lack of ability to read is not a good trait. Much of the world loathes Americans? Really? Many of us on this board have married those from other countries. Some are FROM other countries. Should I continue?

eerelations

Thanks again.
I am Canadian. While this is and always has been a US law site (as you were advised before you started typing your issue), I volunteer here because I have some (fairly extensive in some areas) experience, training and expertise in US law.

As a Canadian I am embarrassed by your extremely hostile, OTT and oh-so-childish response to TheGeekess pointing out something that you already knew, i.e., that this is a US law site. And as a Canadian I am deeply insulted that you would include me in your stereotypical generalization (i.e., that all Canadians hate Americans).

I would have answered your question accurately and informatively had you not revealed your childishness and hostility. But before I leave this thread altogether, I have two questions for you:

1. Given that you already knew this site was for US law only, why did you post your question here?
  2. Given that you hate Americans so much, why are you even perusing an American legal site?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thanks again.
Alrighty then. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As another Canadian-American, let me also point out that Canadian and American law are NOT THE SAME. The REASON you got the initial response that you did - US Law Only - is that since this is a US board, we do not HAVE experts in Canadian law here.

In your first sentence, you asked for Canadian law. WHY would you expect a US board, that clearly asks for a STATE as opposed to a Province, would have information on another country's law?

Eekamouse

Yeah? Well, stop trying to play in our yard then. Perhaps you should go find a Canadian legal board to ask your question on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">