• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue after selling car to daughters boyfriend. What are our options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mww67

Hello

We live in Northern California. A few years ago I was selling my late model mustang. My daughters boyfriend was extremely interested in it but did not have the $9000 for the car. After a bit of talking I agreed he could buy it on payments. For a while the payments came in good and strong. Then about a year ago my daughter and he moved away to Washington and left the car here. They had 2 others so they took those. Since they have moved the car sits here in the driveway and I have not received any payments. About a month ago the two of them broke up. He has been unemployed since December and the relationship has gone a bit sour. So what are my options? I have the title in my name still. I have the keys and the car. All of our agreement was verbal only. I just want the car gone from my driveway. He owes $1300 on the car but he doesn't have it.

So being that there is no legal documentation tying him to the car can I just sell it and take my 1300 and give him the balance? Other options? Also he has greatly impacted my daughters credit and run up her credit card bills. Can I give her the proceeds of the sale to pay off the bills he generated?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

justalayman

Who cares of there is no legal documentation. A verbal contract is enforceable. It's proving it that is more difficult. Unless you would be willing to perjure yourself should he sue you you will admit you had a contract in place.

So now, did you assert any terms within the contract such as how much he had to pay and for how long?

You said he doesn't have the money. Have you asked him how he would like to resolve the matter?

No, you cannot give your daughter any proceeds from selling the car. She was not s party to the contract so she is due nothing from the dissolution of the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">