• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Its long but please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Classicrocker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Good morning all, I will try to be brief but there is a lot of information to give, please excuse me this is a long post and all info is pertinent.
My grandmother has been raising my uncles children on and off for the extent of the childrens lives.Sometimes it is because CPS had to remove the kids and other time like now it is just because the parents are to messed up to parent the kids themselves. They are both drug addicts and alcoholics. They use these drugs by way of injection, they are junkies pure and simple. There are 3 children who we will call Jill (13), Amy (5)and jim (6). Jill primarily lives with her mother, at times she to is sent to stay with my grandmother. She is sexually active, smokes pot and hangs out all hours of the night while with her mother as mom/dad is either working, drunk or high as a kite and doesnt seem to think that Jill being out till 12 or later is a big deal. Jill has Phenylketonuria (PKU) its an autosomal recessive metabolic genetic disorder characterized by a deficiency in the hepatic enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase. This enzyme is necessary to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine to the amino acid tyrosine. When PAH is deficient, phenylalanine accumulates and is converted into phenylpyruvate (also known as phenylketone), which is detected in the urine. Jill is on a diet that limits her protein intake and is supposed to drink a special "milk". Her mother during her life has failed numerous times to keep her blood lvl down, this is all documented by the hospital and CPS.

Amy does not have PKU but Jim does, his lvls are also really high when he is with his mother and father. If not treated properly this can cause seizures, brain damage etc. Since the children (jill included during her first 6 yrs) have lived mostly with my Gm they have not suffered from any of this to date. The social worker at the hospital would phone my Gm when the blood lvls were high and my GM would promptly call my uncle (her son) and ask the kids be sent to her. He would agree and she would get the lvls down. I believe that would show a medical neglect on the parents behalf, but I am not a lawyer so its my assumption only.

When my aunt delivered Jim she was high on amphetamines, consequently Jim was immediately removed from her custody and placed with a foster family for 3 months. Afterwords he was placed with my GM for another 6 months. I am unsure of what my aunt and uncle had to do in order to get him back but they must have done it as Jim was placed back in his home with his sister Jill and parents. Jill was not removed by cps during that time but my aunt and uncle left her with my GM as well. When Jim went home jill stayed another month before my Gm had heart surgery and the parents came to get her too. Over the years this has continued, CPS has been called many many times. The parents have tested positive for meth just about every time resulting in the case worker calling my GM and giving her so many house to pick up the children or they will be placed with foster families until certain classes etc are completed by parents.

In 2007 my Uncle was brought up on drug charges that were later thrown out for lack of evidence, my uncle is a cook and everybody knows it. He openly brags to our family that his "dope" is the best around. The police know it to but cant make things stick. This may surprise some but some of the police force in the town my uncle resides in are users themselves and value the product my uncle puts out, they tip him off. He may get caught with some ingredients but not the full setup to prove that he is indeed manufacturing. He was put in prison only once for it and did 6 yrs. He was released on "good behavior". He is on parole, why he wasn't locked up for violating his parole is anyone's guess. Maybe he gave someone else up in exchange for his freedom... we do not know, he says " I got friends in high places." During that time all 3 children were once again put with my Gm by CPS, later they were returned home once the investigations were complete.

I promise I am almost done I just wanted to give all the information I know of. The two little ones are with my GM now. Amy may go back to her mother as mom wants her home. My aunt and uncle have split up. My uncle now lives in the same town as my GM. Jim will stay with my GM as his mother says he is "uncontrollable" and "pushes her buttons". Jill is currently visiting my GM and other family but expressed to me yesterday she cant wait to get back home where she can "have some real fun". My grandmother just celebrated her 74th birthday. Her health is not up to par and she looks worse every time I see her. Both of the little ones are pretty much kept indoors and are not permitted to play outside. Its not because my Gm is a lousy GM, she is sick. She last year had a hip replacement surgery followed by a knee surgery and getting around is becoming more and more difficult. She has heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure and a few other conditions being treated with meds. Her meds require she stay out of the heat as does her high blood pressure. Also she lives in the "Ghetto". Her SSI and other moneys were cut last year and she had to move. Before that she had government housing but was told by management she couldn't have kids living with her. So now she is living in a very tidy yet run down apartment complex that is over run with gang related/drug activity. The mother gets state aid for all 3 children yet sends very little if anything to my GM. My family and myself help her all we can, I send her money when I can and my sister takes her wherever she needs to go. We are all concerned with what will happen to the kids when my GM passes. I would love to take them in but recently lost my job and financially we are struggling to provide for our 3 kids. The rest of our family are factory workers living paycheck to paycheck. I know of several good financially stable families who would love to take the children in. As of now the kids are with her just because the parents are to tied up in their own affairs to raise them. CPS continuously puts the kids back in the home. Even though this has been going on for almost 11 years. CPS was first called when Jill was almost 2. I understand that parents have a right to raise their kids, I understand that if CPS deems the home ok then it is, what I cant understand is how they think so. These people are life long drug addicts, my uncle cooks dope and although he don't do it in the home when he sells it he sells it from home. These kids have been repeatedly exposed to the vermin who use this substance. These kids have witnessed their parents shooting up dope and their parents beating the living hell out of each other. This isn't healthy for them. The only person they have is my GM and she will not forever be here. They need to be taken away and put with people who will provide for them in all ways. Who will feed them according to their medical needs. Who will be role models for them so they to do not end up like their parents. My Gm understands this but doesn't know what to do or how to begin. Are there any options??

Once again I greatly apologize for the length of this post, I just wanted to give a full description of what is going on and a time line so to speak. Thank you

mistoffolees

I would consult with a local attorney. Many attorneys will provide an initial consultation at no charge.

CPS is in a bind. If they take kids away too easily, their is a backlash. If they take kids away with no permanent place to put them, that's a problem. If they take kids away from parents to put them with a 74 year old grandmother with failing health, that's a big problem.

To compound the problem, it's not really right (maybe not even legal) to do a lot of things behind the scenes. Let's say that there's a family who wants to adopt the kids and that CPS really would like to get them out of their home but has nowhere to put them. CPS can not legally talk with the prospective adopting family about the situation, so it's impossible to make some of the necessary arrangements.

It is theoretically possible for a judge to rule that the children must be removed from the home permanently, but the person bringing suit has to have an interest in the matter. That means the kids themselves or the parents. The kids themselves can't do it - they need to go through CPS. The parents won't do it.

The only possibility I can see is for CPS to get a court order for a guardian to be appointed - and then that guardian might be able to do some things. But it's going to take an attorney who knows the situation and the workings of your county to know what to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Perhaps a good first step would be for some of those parents to get approved as foster parents.

Classicrocker

Thanks to you both. Its all very messed up. I want better for the kids. I love my GM but I fear she may not have very many years left. Once she is gone there is nobody for the kids. I will consult an attorney soon to see what other options there are.Why do people do this to their kids, it makes me so angry.. :mad: thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">